2002 Thunderbird soft boot pattern

04 T-bird

Merlot/Silver Birds
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have J & R Upholstery making me a 2004 soft boot which will be shipped 7/23/20. Rich has another customer who wants a soft boot for a 2002 but needs to see one to make a pattern - it seems the 2002 is different than the 2004. If anyone with a 2002 boot located in the Yuma, Arizona area could contact Rich at J & R, I would appreciate your help.
J & R's number is: (928) 276-8134
When my boot arrives I will follow up with another post on the quality of his workmanship. Thanks, Gary Craig/Chugiak, Alaska

Cool. I look forward to hearing how this works out. What is the price?

I have an after market boot and I have mailed off this a couple of times I am willing to send it out again. 11044_1a54ff1f58aa6d5b1923eb2ede7152ef.jpg.

Attachments

• 11035_03dfabebc1e8b93883815cb54ef15201.jpg
    11035_03dfabebc1e8b93883815cb54ef15201.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
The only difference of the factory boot on the 2002 is that it has a stiff plastic inside and does not fold up small to save trunk space. It is sometimes referred to as a 'hard boot'. They changed to the soft in 2003. Shape and fit of the hard and soft boots are the same and either will fit any retro. These hard boots are best stored long term laying flat, similar to the way they are on the car, to prevent a permanent set and cracking of the stiff inner plastic. The hard has a better look but take most of the room when rolled in half and placed in the trunk to travel. I know this because I have both, along with the roadster style fiberglass, also a trunk hog! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you receive your soft boot yet? How did it fit? I need one, and will send my business to J&R if you feel satisfied. Thanks.

The boot has been sent and should be at my brother's home any day now. I will give you a shout when my brother receives it. The pictures that J&R sent me of the boot looks good. Stay tuned, Gary Craig/Chugiak, Alaska

I have J & R Upholstery making me a 2004 soft boot which will be shipped 7/23/20. Rich has another customer who wants a soft boot for a 2002 but needs to see one to make a pattern - it seems the 2002 is different than the 2004. If anyone with a 2002 boot located in the Yuma, Arizona area could contact Rich at J & R, I would appreciate your help.
J & R's number is: (928) 276-8134
When my boot arrives I will follow up with another post on the quality of his workmanship. Thanks, Gary Craig/Chugiak, Alaska
How did the soft boot turn out, any problems, are all the snaps in place ?

Hello Madmex, the snaps were installed and the boot fits perfectly but the padding on the inside of the boot was not dense enough and the boot was sagging when installed on the car. We've sent the boot back to Rich and he will be installing a denser foam. When the boot is returned we will take a picture and post it on the forum. Thanks, Gary Craig/Chugiak, Alaska

I was texting with J&R this morning. I sent him my aftermarket boot weeks ago. He is making a new boot for me today. He has access to all these colors. https://www.haartz.comproducts/stayfast
and many custom colors. This is the same material that the top is made of. He plans to sell these boots for under 500 and will custom make them to order. They seem like great people to deal with. As soon as mine comes in, I will post some photos. Now that red boot to go with my red car would be interesting.

Haartz Stayfast is the BEST soft top material, doesn't shrink, wears like iron and looks luxurious; I've used the material on several classic car convertible tops..

Hello WTS, We have not received the second boot as yet. Rich agreed to replace the first one he made that was too short around the edges, plus it didn't have that full look like the OEM part. The first boot was returned to Rich to install a foam pad or what ever to fill out the boot. When the first boot was returned to my brother it looked a bit better but still not quite right plus the padding pulled the edges in so it didn't fit correctly. Rich said he now has the correct inner material to give the boot that full look and he will increase the size of the boot so that it will fit properly. When the new and improved boot #2 is received, I will have my brother take pictures and voice his opinion as to the craftsmanship and fit. I will post the pictures and opinions when they are received. We are hoping Rich will have boot #2 ready soon. Thanks, Gary Craig/Alaska

Hello WTS, We have not received the second boot as yet. Rich agreed to replace the first one he made that was too short around the edges, plus it didn't have that full look like the OEM part. The first boot was returned to Rich to install a foam pad or what ever to fill out the boot. When the first boot was returned to my brother it looked a bit better but still not quite right plus the padding pulled the edges in so it didn't fit correctly. Rich said he now has the correct inner material to give the boot that full look and he will increase the size of the boot so that it will fit properly. When the new and improved boot #2 is received, I will have my brother take pictures and voice his opinion as to the craftsmanship and fit. I will post the pictures and opinions when they are received. We are hoping Rich will have boot #2 ready soon. Thanks, Gary Craig/Alaska
Any update on the boot?

Not yet. My brother talked to Rich about two weeks ago. Apparently he has a few of these boots to redo. We are trying to be patient. Thanks, Gary

t
Today we purchased a pristine, 15,253 mi. 2004 in Merlot paint.
Beautiful car. Only thing missing was the tonneau cover for the rag top.
Tried to find one but no luck. Looks as if somebody could start a cottage industry
building these things. Not sure now about rich.

What's the latest? With Covid, I would have thought upholstery business would be slow, as in not a lot of requests. Has JR given you an update?

No news as of today. I will call him tomorrow and see what is going on. Gary

There are probably members of this forum in the Yuma AZ area who might be willing to cruise over to his shop and allow him to test-fit the new boot cover to verify fitment. Seems like a lot of back and forth between you, your brother, and JR Upholstery could be avoided this way. How about it, guys, any volunteers? I'm 8 hrs and 550 miles too far east, even though I'm as far west as you can go and still be in TX.

Back