1964 urban legend barn find!

S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Never thought it would happen to me, urban legend come true, barn find. Blackbird 7XXX miles showroom condition. Was disappointed car would not turn over, but after getting back home I did some research and I think swing away steering was disabling starter. I knew the car was mine when I popped the hood and thought I was buying a new car in !964! Tires are dry rotted and hopefully will hold air long enough to get it on the trailer. Car has been in garage for 47 yrs of its life. Only thing I do not like is AM radio and drum brakes with no boost. Car has electric windows and seats, remote side mirrors and air conditioning but NO SEATBELTS. I am going to sleep in the garage with it when I get it. LOL

Make sure you put the model year in the subject on future posts as prompted. I added if for you.
modelyear.jpg

Never thought it would happen to me, urban legend come true, barn find. Blackbird 7XXX miles showroom condition. Was disappointed car would not turn over, but after getting back home I did some research and I think swing away steering was disabling starter. I knew the car was mine when I popped the hood and thought I was buying a new car in !964! Tires are dry rotted and hopefully will hold air long enough to get it on the trailer. Car has been in garage for 47 yrs of its life. Only thing I do not like is AM radio and drum brakes with no boost. Car has electric windows and seats, remote side mirrors and air conditioning but NO SEATBELTS. I am going to sleep in the garage with it when I get it. LOL
You'll love it ,and great paint body , have fun enjoy

Power brakes are standard. You SHOULD replace the brake fluid at the very least, and I'd recommend replacing the brake lines and hoses -- you can buy new stainless steel lines. There is a spot under the driver's door that is notorious for rotting through, then you have no brakes. I would recommend doing a lot of this -- radiator coolant, brakes, good inspection overall, and of course tires. As for the radio, feel free to contact me directly.

Congrats on the fabulous find! You will NEED to replace everything rubber in the brake system! This means master cylinder, booster,brake lines,and wheel cylinders. A carburetor rebuild is in order, as well as a new condenser. Points may be cleanable. Plug wires will need replacement. The radiator and heater hoses also need replacement.This list is just the start of what needs to be done to safety put it on the road. Any seal that contacts or holds oil. May need attention. You may want to put a few ounces of oil in each cylinder and roll motor over a few times without spark plugs.(this will make it smoke on the first start up). And lastly keep in mind this car was made before unleaded gas, at some point you will need to update the heads with hardened exhaust seats. Or get used to buying fuel additive.

I do plan on doing all the things that people have suggested and even more. 74 Harley you brought up a good point about unleaded fuel. I will have to research hardened valve seats some more next year when I get the car running. Thanks everyone for all the advice.

I have never understood all the hysteria regarding unleaded fuel. If you can remember back in the day, Amoco advertised that their premuim grade was no-lead, and how much greater it was! The consensus is that it's just fine; the one issue is that you can get premature valve wear IF you drive hard quite a bit, as in pulling trailers up a mountain. By all means, if you rebuild the motor you want new hardened valve seats, but there's no need to go out of your way just to do that.

The bigger issue is alcohol in the fuel. Rubber fuel lines should be replaced, and you will have to deal with a notorious problem with gas boiling in the carburetor after driving it. About 10-15 minutes after getting out of the car you'll smell gas, and if you start the car back up it will be hard to start and will be prone to stalling until you drive half a block. Carb s[acers can help, but probably the best fix would be fuel injection.

The bigger issue is alcohol in the fuel. Rubber fuel lines should be replaced, and you will have to deal with a notorious problem with gas boiling in the carburetor after driving it.
I only use 100% gasoline in my Thunderbird. Here is a link to see where you can buy 100% gasoline in your state:

https://www.pure-gas.org

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

If there are no pictures it didn't happen.!

Way to go .
.sounds sweet. I know what you mean by sleeping in the garage

My wife used to say that my car habit was cheaper than another woman. I'm not sure what she meant by that but she was usually right.

Congratulations on the find. Would love to see pictures.

I will post pictures, I bought the car in Des Moines and I am trying to arrange transport to St Louis. I am going to get it home even if I have wifey push it while I steer.(joke) Towing a car on a U Haul trailer 325 mi is something I am trying to avoid.

I will post pictures, I bought the car in Des Moines and I am trying to arrange transport to St Louis. I am going to get it home even if I have wifey push it while I steer.(joke) Towing a car on a U Haul trailer 325 mi is something I am trying to avoid.
I understand. I hauled my '57 300 miles but I had a full size P/U with stiff suspension and did OK. My car is lighter than yours so that would be an adventure.

My wife used to say that my car habit was cheaper than another woman. I'm not sure what she meant by that but she was usually right.
LOL my wife calls my '57 my 'the other woman/ mistress '. She also said that it was cheaper than a side squeeze and plus if she can't find me the first place to look is the garage.

Still don't have car home but here are pictures I took when I fell in love!IMG_4466.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4468.JPG
    IMG_4468.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4469.JPG
    IMG_4469.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4470.JPG
    IMG_4470.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
Sweet! Congrats! I used a U-Haul trailer for my Corvair, but I drove my 'Bird home from NYC to KY.

Good News! Your picture apparently shows vacuum booster for the brakes. Whether it needs replacing or not, that's another question.

Back