1960 restoration tips wiring

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
adyoung05

adyoung05

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've just inherited a 1960 T-bird from 81 year old grandmother that I'm going to pick up this weekend. It was bought new by grandfather. It needs quite a bit of work since it hasn't run in 30+ years. From what my grandmother has told me things went awry when the electric shorted out. I know all of the wires have been taken out of the vehicle and have been told the gas tank is sitting in the trunk. I do believe the motor is in decent condition and know it will turn over. I've never restored a car before and don't really have a clue where to start. Any tips would be useful. My goal right now is just to get it running to take my grandmother for a ride.

I plan to take and upload some pictures when I get the car.

I've just inherited a 1960 T-bird from 81 year old grandmother that I'm going to pick up this weekend. It was bought new by grandfather. It needs quite a bit of work since it hasn't run in 30+ years. From what my grandmother has told me things went awry when the electric shorted out. I know all of the wires have been taken out of the vehicle and have been told the gas tank is sitting in the trunk. I do believe the motor is in decent condition and know it will turn over. I've never restored a car before and don't really have a clue where to start. Any tips would be useful. My goal right now is just to get it running to take my grandmother for a ride.

best bet is to get a shop manual, electrical manual, trim and sealer manual. there are several thunderbird suppliers where you can buy wiring harnesses or anything else you may need

Congratulations! Once you get the project started you will be hooked. Wishes you have no problem...it will be a ride grandmother will never forget. Will touch her heart with joy?

I've just inherited a 1960 T-bird from 81 year old grandmother.

First, I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother! When cars sit, rodents also chew wires up. Also, the bullet birds are widely known for electrical issues.

Try to find a local Thunderbird club nearby.

Post your photos in the media galley- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/thunderbird-photos/albums/

PS thanks for supporting the club!

The '60 has several harnesses: Headlight that goes from left firewall to lights up front, Guage feed that goes from the same area and over left valve cover and across cowl to starter relay on R. inner fender, Dash harness for the guages themselves, radio, courtesy lights, and connectors to the Headlight and Guage feed harnesses. The main body harness goes from the dash harness to the dome light and then to the lights at the rear of the car and the fuel sender. If you have power windows or power seat, there are separate harnesses for these. If you have A/C these connections are part of the Guage feed. If you have problems with just a few wires, you are better off repairing them. If it is more than a few, harness replacement is your best & safest bet. The harnesses connect to other harnesses and many other wires with plug-in connectors. Some connections are made with terminals that must be connected to switches and sensors. The diagrams that come with the good harnesses are a great help. Best tho is to have a complete car that you can look at as a reference.

Sounds like fun, take granny for a ride. Your story is similar to mine. My father bought my 59 when it was six months old. It never left the family. I have been dragging it with me since I parked it worn out with 242,000 miles on it about 40 years ago. I'm excited to complete a restoration on it so I can drive it again, maybe in a parade in the home town where I grew up with it. Hope your grandmother got her ride.

Back