Tracing 56 T-Bird back to original owner

Is there a way to trace my 1956 T-Bird back to its original oner? How do I go about it?
I found the original purchase invoice and the data build sheet in the springs under the seat showing the dealership, purchaser's name and address in East Orange NJ. By checking the codes I found out that the car was missing a number in the serial number, but has "D" in a special notes meaning "Diplomatic". It turned out that the car was purchased by the Canadian Ambassador to the U.N. at the time (1964). I located him in 1997 living a few miles from me. He was blown away when I called him and brought the car around to show him. We went for a little ride..... memories! Guess I was lucky!

Attachments

• IMG_1577546125306.jpg
    IMG_1577546125306.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
Hello;
I know it is a long shot but has anyone had any luck tracing their car to the original owner. My 57 was shipped to Beverly Hills Ford on Wiltshire Blvd in January 1957. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might find who the vehicle was sold to? I know about the late 1990s law passed by congress restricting the government from giving out info, so I figure that CA DMV is out. I thought maybe there might be another way.

One of the great things about owning these cars is that you just want to know everything about them. I purchased my 56 in 1997 in Lower Sackville NS, Canada and spent the next 3 1/2 years doing a complete frame off restoration. The person I purchased it from had the history of the Canadian owners but I was never able to find any of the US owners. I purchased the original invoice and started looking for anything related to my car and after 20+ years of looking I made an amazing discovery as well as 3 new friends along the way. From the invoice, I could tell the car had been delivered to Fred Siess Ford in Lebanon Indiana. The dealership operated from 1918 to 1956 and closed shortly after my car was delivered. I contacted the Lebanon CoC, public library, Indiana state archives etc and even with all the help the people gave me, I found 1 picture of the original garage and some information on Mr Fred Siess but little more. But about 2 months ago, in a stroke of amazing luck, I came in contact with the Lewis brothers of Lebanon and as incredible as it might sound, they had the original Fred Siess sales and service sign from the garage and a 1955 framed ad for the new Thunderbird 20200521_123955.jpgand they gave them to me and didn't even want me to pay for transportation!!! What amazing people, just incredible. I cannot say enough about how grateful I am for what they did and how they made me feel. The items will be well documented and will stay with the car forever. So for all of you who are looking, don't get discouraged, you'll find something and you'll make new friends along the way.

I have much of the original history of my 55' and it is great. It was #85 of 98 T-Birds sent to France in 55' It has the ID tag under the hood that is French and the Bill of Lading going into France, 3 owners while in Europe and the American that purchased it and sending it back to the USA. Bill of Lading into the US and all letters and receipts when it was restored. It is an incredible car and this History makes it even better. A really great driving car while you imagine where it has been. Good luck to all

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I thought it would be interesting to see who may have bought the car in 1957, especially since it was sent to Beverly Hills Ford, and had just about every option added including the tonneau cover.

I was told by the previous owner that he purchased the 1956 T bird from the hall of fame baseball pitcher for the Saint Louis Cardinals Bob Gibson. He would have no reason to make this up because I had purchased the car over 2 years ago and just found the owner before me and asked who he bought the car from. My question is how can I find out if it was really owned by Bob Gibson and if he bought it new or if their were owners before him and who they were? So far I have had no luck.

I was told by the previous owner that he purchased the 1956 T bird from the hall of fame baseball pitcher for the Saint Louis Cardinals Bob Gibson. He would have no reason to make this up because I had purchased the car over 2 years ago and just found the owner before me and asked who he bought the car from. My question is how can I find out if it was really owned by Bob Gibson and if he bought it new or if their were owners before him and who they were? So far I have had no luck.

No disrespect, really. But reading this reminded me of the Seinfeld episode when George bought a car he thought was owned by Jon Voight. It was actually a John Voight. Funny episode.

Hope you can prove the link to your car. What a story that would be! Maybe thru a Dept of Motor Vehicle?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a long shot to be able to trace your T-Bird back to its original owner. When I purchased by 1957 T-Bird just over two years ago, the seller provided me with several notebooks. From these records, receipts and checks I was able to track its ownership back to the last four owners back to the year 1979. The original dealer invoice that I purchased gave me the build date, original ordered options and the dealer's name. This still leaves a 22 year gap in its ownership. Most states now have privacy laws prohibiting providing the names and/or addresses of previous and current owners. Some New England states did not issue titles until about 20 years ago. I just found this out last April when I purchased a 1983 Mercury Cougar in the state of Massachusetts. I had quite a time convincing this to the local county automobile tax office. If the car has crossed several states or countries tracing its registry will be a difficult if not impossible task. Still every now and then I think of a new lead. I know that my T-Bird came from Long Island, New York, and passed to Texas ownership in late 1978. Good luck in your search.

I just recently purchased a 56, and along with it came a whole pile of documents, most from the complete restoration the previous owner did in 1997. Also included was the original factory invoice , the checks he had written to the previous owner (who was a friend of his) in 97, *and* the last CA registration and title transfer from the original owner (registration shows original purchase date). So as the 4th owner, I have the names of and addresses (at the time) of all 3 previous owners! It's really neat, and I lucked out to get this info, thanks to the folks who cared for her before me :).
Owner 1: 1956-1979
Owner 2: 1979-1997
Owner 3: 1997-2021
Me: 2021-present

(I don't want to post the names here, as some folks prefer internet privacy).

Funny thing is that the original owner lived quite close to where I live in CA, then the car went to Illinois, then to Arizona and ended up back here in California :).

Here is the correct link to the Thunderbird Registry.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the correct link to the Thunderbird Registry.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Has anyone registered with this? I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving them all my info. Not sure where it may end up.

I did put in my VIN and nothing. Says I would have to start a new registration.

My Thunderbird was originally entered in 2004. After I purchased my T-Bird I updated the registry in 2016. The name I used was doug7740 which is the same name I use on this site. My registry number is 16208.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

@Boozeman thoroughly enjoyed reading your posted history in the registry link. I am going to need a bit of research about mine. Same story to a point about my being about 11 when my mom and dad had theirs. Took me an extra 57 years to wind up with one but it invokes those same thoughts and stories in my head from the 1960’s

Gotta say that I am happy to have my car and to meet and read so many great stories here.

Back