1956 Holley Carburetor List # Query

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Baristadave

Baristadave

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My recently purchased 56 Thunderbird with a 312 ci motor has a Holley carb with a List # 1162 which according to some websites is correct for the smaller 292 ci V8. Apparently the correct carb is List # 1161.
The car does suffer from a dead spot when accelerating fast, could the wrong carb be the problem, or do I just need to refurbish the existing carb?
Any help would be appreciated.

I am really not familiar with the so-called "tea-pot" carburetors. However if they have similar mechanics to the carbs that replaced them, it is not particularly connected between a bog and the lesser cfm carb. It can be a problem with the accelerator pump and/or a vacuum signal for the secondarys. ther are other reasons but thes come to mind as a place to start.

My recently purchased 56 Thunderbird with a 312 ci motor has a Holley carb with a List # 1162 which according to some websites is correct for the smaller 292 ci V8. Apparently the correct carb is List # 1161.
The car does suffer from a dead spot when accelerating fast, could the wrong carb be the problem, or do I just need to refurbish the existing carb?
Any help would be appreciated.
According to the Holley Carburetor application data sheet; a 1956 Thunderbird with a 312 CID engine should have a ECJ 9510 R, V, or Z if your Thunderbird is equipped with a standard or overdrive transmission. If your Thunderbird is equipped with an automatic transmission it should have a ECJ 9510 N, U, or Y. The list numbers for a 1956 Thunderbird with a 312 engine are; 1164A, 1164-1A, or 1164-2A. A Holley carburetor with a list number of 1161 is for a 1956 Ford or Mercury passenger car equipped with a 312 CID engine and a 1162 is for a 1956 Ford or Mercury passenger car equipped with a 292 CID engine.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back