2002 Std Base model does anyone else find the blue color of the speedo, tach, fuel gauge and temp gauge pointers annoying?

Annoying?
Really?
I think that's one of the most compelling design aspects of the car!

Hi. I have a 2002 and believe that color is Turquoise which has always been associated with Thunderbirds

I completely don't understand.. The distinctive turquoise glow of the gauges at night are a sexy feature....

As one of the few (I suspect) owners that has been inside a 2002 instrument cluster I also strongly advise others to "leave well enough alone"!Modified_Cluster_2.jpg
There are delicate circuits, fragile ribbon cables and plastic components that are easily damaged.....and I've yet to find somebody who repairs them... Finally, a color change for the gauges is more than a bulb swap....there seems to be some translucent film or reflective paint internal to the gauge housing that provides the color...

I think what they are getting at is having a choice of backing that are available for some other cars. But like you other guys I too say let it be. When it comes the the Birds electronics. They are tooooo temperamental.

Annoying?
Really?
I think that's one of the most compelling design aspects of the car!
I just think more contrast between the pointers and background would be better ..... they can be hard to read

I think that's partially because the display tends to be dim, I replaced my gauge bulbs with LEDs for that reason:
IMG_2002.jpg
Not a job for the faint of heart though.

I think that's partially because the display tends to be dim, I replaced my gauge bulbs with LEDs for that reason:
View attachment 11898
Not a job for the faint of heart though.

Love, love love the LED in your panel..How much would you charge to do it in my Tbird... Would it be better to ship you to Central NY, or ship the Bird to you.. it could be your million dollar business.. This would not be something I would try myself.. Three thumbs up to you Frankie!.. Did you also do your climate control / radio stack also?

Last edited:
The retro birds already have LEDs in the mileage panel in the dash, the traction control button, door buttons and in the climate control panel. And, no, not something I would do on a lark. I had my dash apart to repair some Bubba'ed wiring workarounds and decided to do the LEDs....it was a lot of tedious work and experimentation; there is a thread on it:

I had my dash apart to repair some Bubba'ed wiring workarounds and decided to do the LEDs....it was a lot of tedious work and experimentation; there is a thread on it:

Franlie, I was just kidding about shipping my car to you, or you to my car.. I have to tip my hat to your guys who makes these repairs.. If I rated me, I would be a ubber beginner, if I reached that level.. What you did with the LED in your dash panel was spot on. I always felt the OEM lighting was way to dark.. BUT that may be my old eyes playing tricks also.. Again, I just love what you did, it was spot on!

Franlie, I was just kidding about shipping my car to you, or you to my car.. I have to tip my hat to your guys who makes these repairs.. If I rated me, I would be a ubber beginner, if I reached that level.. What you did with the LED in your dash panel was spot on. I always felt the OEM lighting was way to dark.. BUT that may be my old eyes playing tricks also.. Again, I just love what you did, it was spot on!
I know you were kidding, trust me, I wasn't crazy about digging into the tbird to this level, but it just happened to work out OK; it could have easily been a disaster!

Back