55 window glass lift channel rubber

55birdman

55birdman

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
In restoring (restomodding) my 55 i've become way more intimate with it than I ever imagined!
I had hoped to not have to get involved with the door/window mechanisms but as the drivers side window galss was broken this was something that had to be done.
The Ford manual was useless and so I turned to youtube, a couple of clicks and a few minutes later the glass was out!

But the reason for this post is that I've found a few differences between my RH and LH doors leading me to believe that one or the other has been replaced.
On the window that I'm working on there was a "skirt" on the outer side of the window lift channel which may have been part of the original channel rubber. This I assume helped to deflect water away from the lift mechanism. There is no sign of this on the RH side. Additionally the location and shape of the weep holes on the bottom of the doors are different - round vs "oval".

I cannot seem to find a replacement rubber that would include this extra width or anything in catalogs that describes this part. When I removed the window this "skirt" broke off and it seemed more like old tarpaper than rubber.

i'll try to post a photo that shows this part.

art

In restoring (restomodding) my 55 i've become way more intimate with it than I ever imagined!
I had hoped to not have to get involved with the door/window mechanisms but as the drivers side window galss was broken this was something that had to be done.
The Ford manual was useless and so I turned to youtube, a couple of clicks and a few minutes later the glass was out!

But the reason for this post is that I've found a few differences between my RH and LH doors leading me to believe that one or the other has been replaced.
On the window that I'm working on there was a "skirt" on the outer side of the window lift channel which may have been part of the original channel rubber. This I assume helped to deflect water away from the lift mechanism. There is no sign of this on the RH side. Additionally the location and shape of the weep holes on the bottom of the doors are different - round vs "oval".

I cannot seem to find a replacement rubber that would include this extra width or anything in catalogs that describes this part. When I removed the window this "skirt" broke off and it seemed more like old tarpaper than rubber.

art

somewhat hard to see but I’m holding the remains of what I’ve called a skirt that appeared to be part of the original channel strip.
2F8834D6-D67A-4AB7-B141-BBDE215E1BA7.jpeg

art
the 57 i restored had nothing like that and it was all original. guessing someone may have used what they had available in there garage. sounds like bottom of door was repaired at one time and they just drilled weep holes in it

Back