1964 convertible charging question

D

Dave H

Dave H
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm still getting used to my (new-to-me) 64 convertible, especially any of its idiosyncrasies. The battery recently shorted out while I was driving it, eventually bringing the car to a dead stop. I've replaced the battery, but now notice something that seems not quite right with respect to the amp meter. While driving along, the needle sits at dead center, dropping toward the discharge side when the brakes are applied, or when either turn signal is activated, or when the headlights are turned on. However, OCCASIONALLY the needle pops up into the charging side for short periods of time before eventually dropping back to the center position.

Is it possible (or maybe even likely) that the battery short has damaged something else in the charging system? If yes, what should I be looking at? Thanks for any advice.

For some reason the system is not charging. Could have damaged regulator or alternator.

I would change the regulator, especially if you using the original try a newer electronic one, if that doesn't do it, check the charge at the battery with a meter if its charging it's the gauge, (they have full current running through them) if its not charging, it's likely the altanator

I would change the regulator, especially if you using the original try a newer electronic one, if that doesn't do it, check the charge at the battery with a meter if its charging it's the gauge, (they have full current running through them) if its not charging, it's likely the altanator
My 63 Bird quit charging , I replaced the regulator, no charge. I started fooling with the wires. Using a teste meter and jumper wires, not togethet, and found I did not have a good ground. The two screws that hold the regulator were not grounding as they should be. Grounds are very important to the Birds.

Final update: after living with this problem for quite a while (just hadn't gotten around to digging into it, plus the car spent many long months in a collision repair facility for a self-caused accident), I finally pulled the alternator and took it in for testing (tested good). The counter guy mentioned that this year alternator didn't have a built-in regulator, so I pulled the regulator and took it in for testing (also tested good). That strongly suggested a bad ground, as Buzzy had mentioned. I replaced the screws which held the regulator (and which seemed to be awfully sloppy in the holes, as well as having some rust on them) with a couple of new bolts and nuts. Before reinstalling the regulator, I wire-brushed all the paint and crud from around one of the holes, getting down to bare metal. After reinstalling the regulator and making sure the bolts were snug, voila! Problem solved - it's charging now.

Unfortunately, now the starter is very sluggish, and will barely turn over (it was fine before). I'm guessing that I might possibly have aggravated a flaky ground connection involving the starter, and will have to investigate that. If it isn't one thing, it's another, right?

Check and clean all the connections from the negative battery terminal to the engine block. Also the positive battery cable to the solenoid and both ends of the starter cable from the solenoid to the starter.

Double check the wires and terminals to and from the amp meter in the dash. Virtually all the power from the alternator goes thru that meter and the connections are known to overheat and corrode.
Ford discontinued that style gauge & wiring connections after multiple serious failures.

Back