install K&N filter 2003 Thunderbird

Roadhouse Blues

Roadhouse Blues

Monterey and California Dreamin
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone installed the K&N Filter kit (69-3520TP) and had any issues with the vent hoses not fitting into the K&N intake tube (27321)? Is the tube milled wrong as not to accept the vent hose? It there any modifications besides honing it out to the correct diameter to have the hose fit?

Has anyone installed the K&N Filter kit (69-3520TP) and had any issues with the vent hoses not fitting into the K&N intake tube (27321)? Is the tube milled wrong as not to accept the vent hose? It there any modifications besides honing it out to the correct diameter to have the hose fit?
I did have a little trouble with the vent hose but work it a little and it will go. Gonna love the performance and sound when you hit it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the same effect by removing the snorkel from the air filter assy. box. it just snaps off /on.

I did have a little trouble with the vent hose but work it a little and it will go. Gonna love the performance and sound when you hit it!
I found it tight too, but I inserted the hose into some very hot water to soften it up then used some dishwashing liquid to allow it to slip on easier. Great sound for sure! go easy on the oil when you clean it though lol
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the exact same issue. There was no way the stock hose was going to fit onto the K&N nipple even with heat and some lubrication. I ended up MacGyvering with some 1” heater hose and a clamp.7AB2DDA2-8076-4C43-B7E4-CA48A9CE749A.jpeg

I installed a kit in my 2004 TBird, i don't know the part number, but you use the hoses that come with the kit, not the ones on your car. I removed at least one hose as i recall. It took me about 1.5 hrs start to finish, with a little cussing mixed in. I did not have any issues with fitment.

I installed a kit in my 2004 TBird, i don't know the part number, but you use the hoses that come with the kit, not the ones on your car. I removed at least one hose as i recall. It took me about 1.5 hrs start to finish, with a little cussing mixed in. I did not have any issues with fitment.
No hoses included. Instructions were to use the stock ones. One fit, one didn't. Also cussing included, but I love the result!

YES!!!! I ended up triple wrapping black duct tape. Of course, I will have to check periodically to see if they are cracking. Good so far.

I went to a junk yard, found a 99 and up Lincoln LS V8. Took off the factory vent hose with the 90' elbow that goes into the valve cover. I then made a slit along the hose that is heat shrunk to the elbow, removed the elbow and Vala, Had a stock elbow that snaps into valve cover and the supplied K&N rubber hose slips right over the elbow and the nipple on the air tube

lucky me, my bird already had it installed when I bought it.(somebody else probably swore some)

Just saying the hole on the K&N snorkel was 0.850". Diameter on the hose is 0.875" and original ID on stock air filter is 0.900". Hope i is flexible enough when heated to shrink that much. K&N is no help although they sent another snorkel to me at no charge. After 15 years someone should have corrected production somewhere.

I modified the existing hose by using a file and some Red RTV silicone to fit the opening and seal it. Works great now.

Correct for me as well.
I did not get the hose in my kit either. I called K & N and they shipped me one for free. They said they include a hose with the black cheaper intake but not the chrome one. That makes no sense to me. because without it you can't complete the assy without modifying the stock hose or. jury rigging it with a heater hose. I did not want to modify my stock parts seeing they are almost impossible to find

I did not get the hose in my kit either. I called K & N and they shipped me one for free. They said they include a hose with the black cheaper intake but not the chrome one. That makes no sense to me. because without it you can't complete the assy without modifying the stock hose or. jury rigging it with a heater hose. I did not want to modify my stock parts seeing they are almost impossible to find
That was smart. I wish I had called them, good info for anyone that hasn’t installed the K&N yet. Some seem to have been manufactured with the correct nipple size to accept the stock hose, on others it was clearly too large. There must have been an engineering change in there somewhere...

That was smart. I wish I had called them, good info for anyone that hasn’t installed the K&N yet. Some seem to have been manufactured with the correct nipple size to accept the stock hose, on others it was clearly too large. There must have been an engineering change in there somewhere...
Well, the hose K&N sent me was beyond useless. How someone in there technical dept could think it was a was the problem solver should go back to college. I did a combination of two different size heater and fuel line hoses and that vent hose issue looks awesome, almost like factory. I should apply for a job at K&N because I know alot more than the dummy they have employed there. I did not want to modify my stock factory hose cause they are impossible to find so I still have all my original stock system in case I ever sell the car
I went to a junk yard, found a 99 and up Lincoln LS V8. Took off the factory vent hose with the 90' elbow that goes into the valve cover. I then made a slit along the hose that is heat shrunk to the elbow, removed the elbow and Vala, Had a stock elbow that snaps into valve cover and the supplied K&N rubber hose slips right over the elbow and the nipple on the air tube

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Correction, the K&N rubber hose does not work at all, The I D is totally wrong

Back