Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen- Android Auto- Bluetooth

How did you guys install the kit without getting a weird gap? See pics. Did you have to trim off the locating pins for the old unit?
ThanksStereo1.jpgStereo2.jpg

I didn’t have that gap and didn’t trim anything.

I put 4 focal 6x8 speakers in my 2005 with my JVC Kenwood unit. Cutchfield told my to disconnect the driver side center console speaker. That helps to optimize the mic position by the right knee which works fine. By eliminating excess noise there. The focal speakers have brilliant tweeters and eliminate the need for the console speakers. To disconnect the speaker I left one rca connector off on the back of the head unit. I left the factory subwoofers in, they seem fine. The focal speakers sound great. Only takes an hour to put in.

Here is my gap - its pretty nice and I don't know what's different about this setup...
BTW - I have that same roll-around red work table that is peeking through in your pictures - very handy!
gap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What about your steering wheel controls? Do all the original buttons work? My station/track up/down buttons do not. Not big deal but it would be nice to get everything to work.

I was able to fix the gap by drilling some holes around the trim to let the locating pins poke through!

Now I have to get Android Auto to work as it is telling me "incompatible device". I am using a USB input like Frankie the Frink's that goes on the cigarette lighter hole. Also, I need to find a real Sansung charging cable as this may be the issue as well.

ALpine 1.jpgAlpine 3.jpgAlpine 4.jpgAlpine 5.jpg

I used this USB flush mount connector and placed it in the cigarette lighter hole. I did have to remove the black lighter surround to make the hole the correct size and ended up super gluing it on. Works great.
Amazon.com: PAC USB-DMA Dash-Mount Adaptor for USB Accessories: Car Electronics
Screenshot_20210122-072802_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I tried one of these other ones and could not get it to work. Not sure if the cable is too long or what.
Amazon.com: BATIGE Single Port USB 3.0 Male to Female AUX Car Mount Flush Cable Waterproof Extension for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard Panel - 3ft: Computers & Accessories
Screenshot_20210122-072908_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Attachments

• Alpine 2.jpg
    Alpine 2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 3
My only issue with the ASWC steering wheel control is that the down volume occasionally turns the volume up but then it corrects itself. The Mute, Media and track change buttons work on my KENWOOD. You DO have to pre-program the device for your radio manufacturer. On Amazon Music or Pandora the rear steering wheel buttons cycle to the next song as I would expect.
The Media button cycles through Apple Car Play, the HD Radio, USB Input, etc.

Got the system in. Overall, very good. The system is finicky about the cable you use to connect the phone so, use the factory Samsung cable. The sound is probably close to stock. The steering wheel controls are a bit finicky as well and the track up/down works when using pandora.

Hi guys & gals.............Eaglerego here. I'm from SC but am in Abu Dhabi the last 2 years. I have upgraded my 2004 Seafoam Green Tbird with the Alpine system. There are 3 connectors for the factory radio but the kit only comes with 2. What is the 3rd one for? Also, I can't get any sound. I reinstalled the factory radio to confirm everything works and then reinstalled the Alpine...............No sound. I checked my wiring harness a couple times. Don't see any problems. I have the brake micro bypass switch & the 5v resistor for the subwoofer turn on. Any ideas? Any pictures of the wiring harness put together? Fly-Eagles-Fly.....................................

To provide some guidance for those who know what my problem is, I have attached the connector views. What is pin 15 (C240a) for? It is not on the Metra harness. C240b pins 3 & 7 are not in the Metra harness. There is nothing for C240c.

Please help..................

2004-Radio1.jpg2004-Radio2.jpg2004-Radio3.jpg

UPDATE:

Fixed my problem..........................Bad 5v resistor.

I completed an Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen/Android Auto install on my TBird. Bought it from Crutchfield along with the harness kit including the steering wheel kit. I also bought a microbypass cable from Amazon to eliminate the parking brake problem. Took me a total of about 3 hours to remove and install. Just took my time. With everything that crutchfield provided it made it easy. I got their ready harness service so it all cam prewired. Just had the connect the microbypass cable and the steering wheel kit cable to the old radio harness. It all works great. The car looks like it has been updated to a 2019 model. Check out the pictures

Purchase link- https://amzn.to/3hYiYmU
View attachment 4800
do you have sirius

I am having an Alpine iLX-W650 7" Mech-Less Receiver Compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto installed in my 2005 Thunderbird. where do you charge your iPhone with a port to connect to the radio ?

A couple of suggestions since you are having a professional installation done.

1. Update the firmware of the unit. Click here for the newest firmware.
2. The USB connector is in the back, so you need your installer to install the included 42" extension cable. Click here to buy one on Ebay if not included. I have a base knob installed in the center console of my Mustang which is similar to how the USB is installed.
3- Here is the owner's manual- http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_iLX-W650_EN.pdf

You will likely want an Alpine KCU-471I USB to lightning connector which is sold separately-

kcu-471i.jpg
connection-USB.jpg
See Video on my Bass Knob-

Last edited:
Any ideas for a good quality headphone? Installed a Kenwood excelon last year and would like to match it up with a headphone that is compatible with SiriusXM satellite. Thanks!
PS. I wear hearing aids so that might make a difference!

Any ideas for a good quality headphone? Installed a Kenwood excelsor last year and would like to match it up with a headphone that is compatible with SiriusXM satellite. Thanks!
PS. I ware hearing aids so that might make a difference!
This is hilarious! I wear hearing aids too! My recommendation. Two actually and I'm an audiophile nut: Enclosed: AKG450. These are cable. You can find them used on eBay https://www.ebay.com/sch/?kw=AKG450&campid=5338236430 for an excellent price. I use them on planes. People offer me huge money when there is a screaming baby... Open - any Grado's. It depends on how much you want to hear and not hear. I did buy a big upgrade system so top down is no problem. Got new speakers too. What a difference!!

This week I paid $200 to my mechanic to change the lighter socket so when I turn the engine off, that socket also goes out. Worth every penny. Toooo many dead batteries. I plug my car cam recorder in it and can never remember to pull out the plug.

I also bought post extenders for my battery. Hopefully, no more taking everything out of the trunk and then wrestle panels around to get at the battery posts. Man, but they can be a pain. Stand by.
Wait a minute. Just reviewed this post. These extenders let you access the posts without cutting the trunk floor panel?

This is hilarious! I wear hearing aids too! My recommendation. Two actually and I'm an audiophile nut: Enclosed: AKG450. These are cable. You can find them used on eBay for an excellent price. I use them on planes. People offer me huge money when there is a screaming baby... Open - any Grado's. It depends on how much you want to hear and not hear. I did buy a big upgrade system so top down is no problem. Got new speakers too. What a difference!!
What brand of speakers, please. I have an excellent local sound shop that I trust with my PC.

Wait a minute. Just reviewed this post. These extenders let you access the posts without cutting the trunk floor panel?

What brand of speakers, please. I have an excellent local sound shop that I trust with my PC.

I changed out the audio systems in both of the 04 T-Birds. I had a different radio placed in each car. Both are great the first was a Pioneer. The issues with it was the "Screen Glare" and a somewhat glitchy Hand Control. Other than that radios functions were great. My current radio (Kenwood Excelon DMX906S)
I got from Crutchfield. It has a better Screen and has Apple Play and Android play, but no CD. They both (Apple Play and Android play) seem sketchy/cheesy, meaning you have to hardwire the phones to use the GPS. And still the had controls are still glitchy. The volume, lately, started changing the channel. I will be taking to an installer to see if they can fix the Hand Control issue. And again the the radio work well. You have to look at it this way, "It's Not An OEM Radio" and won't function as on. I with ford had put something like these in a Bird like they did in the Lincoln LS but then didn't. If now your thinking finding an LS one in don't. It won't work in a Bird because they are VIN based programed. That's what I was told. I hope this helps. Tom

The earlier post is right when talking about the glare is an issue when the top is down. I have a Kenwood in my 05 and I am looking to install on in my 04. When you order the radio you can also order the the adapter plugs that will allow the steering wheel function. To work. I ordered my from Volunteer Audio on eBay. This came with the frame to match dash opening.
Helpful hint soldering the wires for adapters to the radio wires is a much better connection and will resist vibration and bad connections. Crimp on connecting is for amateurs.

Crutchfield has everything you need including a front plate that matches the original finish very well. I have a reverse camera also, pretty pathetic by very modern standards of high def video, but still better than nothing at all.
129D2552-0A3D-4C96-AB88-195BC3E9FCF7.jpeg

I purchased an Alpine ILX-W650 radio for my 2003 T-Bird from Amazon as recommended but, I need a different faceplate...any suggestions as where I can purchase one would be greatly appreciated.

Back