2002 Engine stumble in park

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi All , my 2002 TBird runs flawlessly when driving the car in gear under a load , she also idles & starts flawlessly . When revving the motor in park or neutral it stumbles badly & wont rev past 3000 Rpm ? Has anyone experienced this problem ?
Thanks in advance for any info .

Hi All , my 2002 TBird runs flawlessly when driving the car in gear under a load , she also idles & starts flawlessly . When revving the motor in park or neutral it stumbles badly & wont rev past 3000 Rpm ? Has anyone experienced this problem ?
The failure to rev over 3000 rpm is designed into the engine controls. There’s a rev limiter. Does it stumble otherwise?
You should include the year in the posting title- people from all eras get the same “new thread” notification.

That sounds correct and I recall that I read that in the owner's manual as well as an admonition to not let the car idle too long at high RPMs or it will overheat...

Please include model year in subject on future posts. Adding for you now.
modelyear.jpg

Yes, my 2002 does that too. Didn't do it until I took it back to the dealer at about a year old for service and they apparently reflashed the engine control module. Has that same 3000rpm rev limiter when in Park or Neutral now.

Back