2002 Thunderbird Speedometer incorrect

S

Scott Thoden

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Greetings all. This is my first post. I own a 2002 Thunderbird and the speedometer reads consistently 5 MPH high. I can do the math while driving and avoid entanglements with the boys in blue, however am curious as to whether this can be calibrated out or whether the cluster would need to be replaced? - Scott

Make sure that you have the correct tire size for your vehicle. many people change wheels/tires, go to different sizes which are not equivalent to the factory spec and that ends up changing the speedometer reading. Also, use your phone's GPS and map to verify your speed.

I have the correct tires on my 2002 and my speedometer reads 2-3mph low; I use my aftermarket in dash radio Garmin GPS for speed or just Kentucky windage... Not sure how you could apply a correction and if it involves removing the instrument cluster - been there done that....not worth it IMO.

I have the correct tires on my 2002 and my speedometer reads 2-3mph low; I use my aftermarket in dash radio Garmin GPS for speed or just Kentucky windage... Not sure how you could apply a correction and if it involves removing the instrument cluster - been there done that....not worth it IMO.
Most people with the OEM spec tires (235/50/17) report the same 2-3 mph error. Going to 235/55/17 usually corrects the problem.

Thanks - I'll consider that at tire change time!

Back