68 Carburetor fire repair

Edgars68

Edgars68

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So i failed to notice a leak on the carburetor and it led to it catching on fire. I want to replace everything on that area but the manual is not very helpful. I know I need the carburetor pump, definitely a new carburetor, some of the wires got burned. What else should I be looking for?

Uhh it would help to know exactly what kind of thunderbird you are talking about before you posted this. Not really giving us much to go on. Also pictures would help as well.

Uhh it would help to know exactly what kind of thunderbird you are talking about before you posted this. Not really giving us much to go on. Also pictures would help as well.

My apologies. Its a 68 4D. I've added pictures. And I haven't dug into it yet. Looking to order parts. I've wanted to keep the original parts on it but that just backfired since this is a big fail. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
IMG_20200101_111222.jpgIMG_20200101_111155.jpgIMG_20200101_111142.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well his bad was the engine fire? How much got damaged?
Not too bad I guess. From what I know everything in there is metal. I Popped off the filter so what caught fire I assume was the seals and anything with gas remnants.

Please follow the directions when posting in the future. Added your model year and edited your subject to summarize your post.
modelyear.jpg

Well judging by the photos I would say a carburetor seems to be the only real issue. Getting that replaced along with new fuel lines would be good. Also I would change the heater core lines as well. They seem to have gotten scorched too.

Back