1969 Thunderbird Turn signal problems does not flash

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey guys I need some help with the turn signals on my 1969 tbird. When I turn them on they just remain solid and don't flash at all. I see the indicator on the dash when I turn on the signal. However nothing happens. the front turn signal will light up, but nothing flashes. The rear lights don't blink in sequence or nothing. What could be my problem? I have the right flasher can as well to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys I need some help with the turn signals on my 1969 tbird. When I turn them on they just remain solid and don't flash at all. I see the indicator on the dash when I turn on the signal. However nothing happens. the front turn signal will light up, but nothing flashes. The rear lights don't blink in sequence or nothing. What could be my problem? I have the right flasher can as well to.
Did you check the bulbs in the rear? Usually when the light lights up but doesn't blink it's a bad bulb on that side of the car. Does the right front turn signal bulb light up also? I think there's a flasher behind the glove box. Mine wasn't getting any power up to the switch behind the steering wheel. Fuse and everything was good. I ran a jumper wire that was hot up through the column and touched each wire until mine worked. Hooked it up out of the way under the dash. Worked out fine

Did you check the bulbs in the rear? Usually when the light lights up but doesn't blink it's a bad bulb on that side of the car. Does the right front turn signal bulb light up also? I think there's a flasher behind the glove box. Mine wasn't getting any power up to the switch behind the steering wheel. Fuse and everything was good. I ran a jumper wire that was hot up through the column and touched each wire until mine worked. Hooked it up out of the way under the dash. Worked out fine
Yes I replaced all the bulbs in the tail lights. Front turn signals are new bulbs too. Problem now is what happens when I click either left or right is the indicator in the dash will light up, but it just remains solid. Front turn signal on either side will just light up. Nothing flashes. I will try and see if the flasher can has gone bad on me.

Yes I replaced all the bulbs in the tail lights. Front turn signals are new bulbs too. Problem now is what happens when I click either left or right is the indicator in the dash will light up, but it just remains solid. Front turn signal on either side will just light up. Nothing flashes. I will try and see if the flasher can has gone bad on me.
sounds like you're not getting any juice to the back sequence switch. It's in a wiring harness on the left side of the trunk close to where the trunk brace is. Put a tester on it and see if there's any juice going to it when you turn on one side or the other turn signal

Last edited:
To solve this problems, you have to get yourself a new switch in your column. Thats the problem when it is like you explain here ! Happy new year from me here in Spain.

To solve this problems, you have to get yourself a new switch in your column. Thats the problem when it is like you explain here ! Happy new year from me here in Spain.
Yes I gather I need a new switch. Problem is it appears a new switch is currently not available. So my question is what are the similarities between the other switches and mine? Currently I cannot get mine, but how similar is the switch to any other comparable ford vehicle of the time. Apparently other ford vehicles like the LTD, Mustang, Cougar, Mark 3 (or was it 4?), and other Fords had the tilt column so shouldn't the switches be the same? As in the way its mounted and how they were made. Now mine does have the cruise control, but I don't care if it works or not! I'll rip all that crap out if I have to. I just want turn signals. Isn't there anyone who knows the interworking of the columns on these cars? I mean at the end of the day its a simple on/off switch. Nothing more than that except if you count the cam system that kicks it off after the wheel is turned so much in a certain way. Come on guys! Hasn't anyone though out of the box for these problems?

These switches are very complex to our cars. Dont even think of spending time to find something else to work there. Seems like all info runs thru the TSS. Sequencial, brake light .....all is wired thru that. Other switches do not have these futures. You can try to fix yours. There is a video on YouTube. It is the rivetet contact points that make the trouble. They are getting loose over time and give bad contact. Check this before spending money on rare other stuff ....Off course , a new switch is best
Happy new year

These switches are very complex to our cars. Dont even think of spending time to find something else to work there. Seems like all info runs thru the TSS. Sequencial, brake light .....all is wired thru that. Other switches do not have these futures. You can try to fix yours. There is a video on YouTube. It is the rivetet contact points that make the trouble. They are getting loose over time and give bad contact. Check this before spending money on rare other stuff ....Off course , a new switch is best
Happy new year
The Mercury Cougar of the same years uses the same sequential lights as the Thunderbird does... just putting that out there if you didn't know that. Also you could be right and it may be the contacts loosening up. I am going to be pulling the wheel and checking. However it could be the switch itself is just bad. As in the internals are bad and only a new switch can fix it. Right now after extensive searching a new switch or even a new old stock is currently not available.

I know they are hard to find and I remember they are all a little different for 67/68/69....with or without cruise etc. I am aware of the Cougar and not sure if one of those fit your car. Maybe they are different again. I can only give you my opinion as I fooled around with this problem a couple of years ago. I even found the fault in loose contacts in my switch. I fooled around with the cables when armed and things start to work some seconds and stopped again. Took the switch out and tried to do what the man in the video did by soldering each contact rivet, but f.....kt up as my soldering got to hot and maybe I was a little to fast in my doing.....endet up getting a new switch and WOW....everything worked as intended - and does until today. No more trouble with that issue.
When you get to your switch and you see how it is build up wriggle a bit on each contact rivet with power on and switch to one direction - see what happens. Be sure not to touch ground when doing this, as you can end up with even more trouble when shortening accidental.
Good luck buddy. And tell me how this turns out

I know they are hard to find and I remember they are all a little different for 67/68/69....with or without cruise etc. I am aware of the Cougar and not sure if one of those fit your car. Maybe they are different again. I can only give you my opinion as I fooled around with this problem a couple of years ago. I even found the fault in loose contacts in my switch. I fooled around with the cables when armed and things start to work some seconds and stopped again. Took the switch out and tried to do what the man in the video did by soldering each contact rivet, but f.....kt up as my soldering got to hot and maybe I was a little to fast in my doing.....endet up getting a new switch and WOW....everything worked as intended - and does until today. No more trouble with that issue.
When you get to your switch and you see how it is build up wriggle a bit on each contact rivet with power on and switch to one direction - see what happens. Be sure not to touch ground when doing this, as you can end up with even more trouble when shortening accidental.
Good luck buddy. And tell me how this turns out
Yeah, currently right now I have nothing. Brakes are a little dim and I am afraid to drive the car as I feel some one is going to rear end me. Already had two close calls. Seriously don't people pay attention while driving? And this all sucks too as I just got my custom exhaust headders in yesterday and they look great. One switch was listed on another site, but upon ordering it apparently it was an old listing and they no longer had the part.

Well, you are doing so much to that car, that your TSS - problem is just a small thing. New switches are quiet expensive too. I hope for you that u can fix it

Well, you are doing so much to that car, that your TSS - problem is just a small thing. New switches are quiet expensive too. I hope for you that u can fix it
A small thing maybe, but a thing that prevents road travel. Well road travel that requires any turning. I mean... I am perfectly fine driving the car so long as I don't have to turn. That shouldn't be to much trouble right?

Did you ever find the fix for your signal problems? My sequencer is working fine in the rear but nothing up front flashes

Back