2002-05 Garage Hardtop Hoists

02thunderbirdht

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
I've seen some older threads on garage hoists for the hardtop. I'm curious to see what everyone is using current day. I have the hardtop stand, but we are moving into a new home with a garage and I want to be able to hang the hardtop from the ceiling for easier on and off.

Please link what hoist you are using and how it works. Thank you!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I decided to just go with a hardtop stand because of a large beam running the width of our garage and some cabinets, but this is the one I was looking at that I liked the best. Nice padded bar and rubberized hooks protect the top. Comes either manual or electric, one person can operate the electric and get the job done, I think the manual would be more difficult. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to just go with a rack because of a large beam running the width of our garage and some cabinets, but this is the one I was looking at that I liked the best. Nice padded bar and rubberized hooks protect the top. Comes either manual or electric, one person can operate the electric and get the job done, I think the manual would be more difficult. Good luck!
opener. My question is will my wife’s suv clear the top when hanging in the center and where the the control placed after recent use not just hanging. It’s for my 05 TBIRD...thank you...the you tube was very helpful

I've seen some older threads on garage hoists for the hardtop. I'm curious to see what everyone is using current day. I have the hardtop stand, but we are moving into a new home with a garage and I want to be able to hang the hardtop from the ceiling for easier on and off.

Hi 02thunderbirdht.5104

I wasted a lot of time trying to rig a harness to lift my top like my friend with a Miata & Porche had done & gave up. I bought a padded bar and strapping like you see in TopHoist and used a "winch" w/remote control I had already. I looked up where I got the bar and the domain is not the same owner anymore. Bottom line is I love it.

I added a L shaped wooden wheel stop with bolts that drop in my garage floor to help align my car when I back up the TBird

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to just go with a rack because of a large beam running the width of our garage and some cabinets, but this is the one I was looking at that I liked the best. Nice padded bar and rubberized hooks protect the top. Comes either manual or electric, one person can operate the electric and get the job done, I think the manual would be more difficult. Good luck!

That's the one I've been eyeing. Unfortunately, I have a small single car garage. My Thunderbird fits perfectly but after doing some measurements, mounting the hoist just behind the ceiling mounted garage door opener motor, I can't pull my Thunderbird back far enough to line up the hardtop with the suspended hoist. I mention this for others to be sure and take measurements first before ordering it. For those with more roomier garages likely wouldn't have an issue. At the end/back of my garage is the stairwell to basement. If the stairwell had been placed elsewhere, I would have had room to back up the bird further towards the back of the garage.

Most cheap and easy plan. I made it by 4 duct hanger pipe and 4 tie-down belt. Its suitable for narrow tokyo house. Of course one man can operate.

Attachments

• 20190905 (5).JPG
    20190905 (5).JPG
    460.5 KB · Views: 76
I use a hoist to get the top up, but I also built a platform, out of 2x4s that swings under the top. I raise the top, then I swing the 2x4s under it, then lower it till it sits on the 2X4's. I dont remove the hoist. That should be the same pressure as the top on a rack or on the ground. SO I have 2 systems holding the top up at the same time, for safety.

That's the one I've been eyeing. Unfortunately, I have a small single car garage. My Thunderbird fits perfectly but after doing some measurements, mounting the hoist just behind the ceiling mounted garage door opener motor, I can't pull my Thunderbird back far enough to line up the hardtop with the suspended hoist. I mention this for others to be sure and take measurements first before ordering it. For those with more roomier garages likely wouldn't have an issue. At the end/back of my garage is the stairwell to basement. If the stairwell had been placed elsewhere, I would have had room to back up the bird further towards the back of the garage.
I used the Harken hoist in a small garage. It is a multi-part tackle that runs parallel with the ceiling. One person can easily lift the top, and since there’s no winch it doesn’t reduce the headroom. I mounted the lifting point very close to the door opener, and the hoisting line was at the front of the car near the garage wall. My hoist is actually intended for lifting a canoe or other load, so it comes with 4 straps to attach to the load, but I attached it to the padded bar and strap hooks designed for a T-bird hardtop. I bought the 6-part hoist but it is overkill and the 4-part unit would work better since it’s simpler and doesn’t need as much weight to pull it down. I don’t have a link to my hoist, but it’s made by Harken, the big sailboat hardware manufacturer.

I have an electric hoist and use Fast-Cup double suction cups, two on the top of the roof and one on the rear window for balance. BUT I do not leave it UP for storage. my garage has a low ceiling so I have to store the top on the cradle.

I have used and am still using a hoist made by Top Hoist, and I love it. I have an 03 Bird and it works like a top.

I bought the top hoist manual version and then bought an electric winch from online(saved about 100 bucks) works perfect.
I doubled the pulley from the winch not for extra pulling power but to make it go up and down slower and easier to control.
lastly when I lift it I make one side lower than the other just a little so when I lower it by myself i can lower the low side pin first and when it is guided in the hole by me I can move to other side and do the same. takes like 2 minutes by myself(a couple more after that to line up and tighten the front screws)

I bought the power version and I am satisfied with it.

I use a hoist to get the top up, but I also built a platform, out of 2x4s that swings under the top. I raise the top, then I swing the 2x4s under it, then lower it till it sits on the 2X4's. I dont remove the hoist. That should be the same pressure as the top on a rack or on the ground. SO I have 2 systems holding the top up at the same time, for safety.

Attachments

• tbird top 1.jpg
    tbird top 1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 45
  • tbird top 2.jpg
    tbird top 2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 42
Thank you all for your replies! I love the setup that Tam2and4 has. Looks like it's right up my alley.

Hi O
I started with the Harbor Freight 400 lb. Elect hoist. $80 with coupon. You can see the unistrut that has a matching piece above two ceiling joist clamped together with long bolts. Works great.

Attachments

• 20191227_092349.jpg
    20191227_092349.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 35
I should have added the frame is heavy wall pvc. The pic shows the frame in its storage position on hooks. When lowered straps are attached under top to the pvc frame. Hope that helps. Total cost was about $100. Already had some unistrut laying around.
Steve

I used the Harken hoist in a small garage. It is a multi-part tackle that runs parallel with the ceiling. One person can easily lift the top, and since there’s no winch it doesn’t reduce the headroom. I mounted the lifting point very close to the door opener, and the hoisting line was at the front of the car near the garage wall. My hoist is actually intended for lifting a canoe or other load, so it comes with 4 straps to attach to the load, but I attached it to the padded bar and strap hooks designed for a T-bird hardtop. I bought the 6-part hoist but it is overkill and the 4-part unit would work better since it’s simpler and doesn’t need as much weight to pull it down. I don’t have a link to my hoist, but it’s made by Harken, the big sailboat hardware manufacturer.

That sounds like a good alternative. I'll have to look into Harken. Thanks for share.

Back