adding power steering to 1955 bird

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you want to keep it original, Ive seen complete systems for sale on EBay.
Moderator Note: Ebay Link for conversion Kit
Video-

I believe the Tbird suppliers sell them as well. Not that difficult to install. If originally is not an issue Borgeson sells a simple kit that attaches to the bottom end of the steering column for a good price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having an Improved Handling Kit from CASCO, pg 15 of catalog $ 598.85. It includes two anti-sway bars and 4 air shocks. It's for my 1957 D code Thunderbird.

If you want to keep it original, Ive seen complete systems for sale on EBay.
Moderator Note: Ebay Link for conversion Kit
Video-

I believe the Tbird suppliers sell them as well. Not that difficult to install. If originally is not an issue Borgeson sells a simple kit that attaches to the bottom end of the steering column for a good price.
When I click on the link for the system, it leads to an hydraulic system vise the electric version. Do you have another link showing the electric version?

The systems I have seen on eBay were the original style not a conversion.
Just keep checking the 55-57 Ford Thunderbird parts on eBay
Or you could check with places like; Hills, he has many new and used OEM parts and systems

Why are you trying to change an existing technology? If you you want to go resto-mod then go for it. But be aware any thing you want to change from original you need big $ and a shop that does that kind of work. Not local garage type of work. One thing leads to another and soon you are over you head unless you have deep pockets, your car your choice, do it for yourself because it won't add value.

Borgeson offers a power steering set up that is simple and attaches to the bottom of the steering box. Also comes with a pump.
There are electric units that install inside the cab, I’v never installed one but they are also very simple.
You can find complete original power steering units on eBay or one of the Tbird shops.

I know that Hills in southern Ohio has them.
I installed a complete original power steering that was overhauled, on my 57, pretty easy peezy

I'm looking for my 1955 bird a power steering an electric or ford mo. what are the pros and best choice thanks for any advice.
When you post, your subject should be a brief summary, not an entire paragraph. Revised.

model-year-TBF.jpg

I would like to add power steering to my 57 E code, did not come with it. There are original rebuilt systems available, just wondering what the improvements would be. Looking for improvements to ease parking and a tight turn to get into the garage.
Thinking that a rack and pinion, borgeson, or electric unit would hurt the cars value, but original would be ok?

Thanks

65-70 Mustang maybe more years the control valve is the same, and the pump from 65-66 Mustang is the same. The pump mounting bracket are 292-312 specific. I don't remember if the cyl. mounts the same. You would need to find the P/S cyl. mounting bracket to frame. The P/S center link. There is a company that I've been dealing w/ for 30 years on P/S components. Rode's Restoration 1406 Lohr Rd. Galion Oh. 44833 (419) 468-5182 They may have what you need or may know where to acquire them. They rebuild pumps, control valves and cylinders

I have a 55 and I purchased the original power steering Kit from Prestige Thunderbird.
Good installation instructions were included
Installed it myself and fit in perfect and was driving down the road in about 2 1/2 hrs.

My wife is very happy

If you're concerned about originality, you might want to start looking for another steering column. The Borgeson and electric conversions will require modifying your steering column. Keep in mind that the 55 column is longer than the 55/56 column, due to different OEM steering wheels.

My 55 has manual steering. I, too, would like easier steering for u-turns/parallel parking, etc. However, I wouldn't want the one-finger steering of the original boom-style power steering, so I guess it would come down to either Borgeson/electric.

I've read a number of posts in which Tbird owners regretted converting to rack-and-pinion steering. I particularly recall their saying that it increased the turning radius.

Back