1969 Ford Thunderbird Alternator conversion

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
N
Last seen
I am trying to convert the old style alternator to a newer modern one. Any ideas where I could find wiring diagrams for the conversion or has anyone already done this?

Thanks - Nate

Whats wrong with the original one? It's the same thing used in modern cars. The only difference is the voltage regulator is mounted outside. Whats your reason for wanting to move to a modern alternator over the original alternator?

It is a known problem that there is often trouble with the old style separat mounted VR. I agree a bit with nwstevens. New one wire alternator makes it more reliable. But for my sake - I like everything original...........

It is a known problem that there is often trouble with the old style separat mounted VR. I agree a bit with nwstevens. New one wire alternator makes it more reliable. But for my sake - I like everything original...........
Then just get a new voltage regulator? I mean they are readily available here in the states. Easy to just walk into a parts store and get one. However I will say that my 69 Tbird doesn't have the externally mounted voltage regulator. It has the little black solid state voltage regulator mounted on the alternator itself. Doing a modification by switching to a modern one I wouldn't know, but I would say it's probably not a too difficult affair. I just never considered it myself considering how easily it was to just get the part you need.

Yes, you are right ! In my case I was twice in trouble with my charging system. 1. the original mechanical VR made problems....like charging sometimes and sometimes not - I ordered a solid state one that has a housing that looks like the original and with that one I get good charging but flickering lights...not much, but anough to reconize and its irritating me as I like things to work correct. What to do ? Order another VR and try again or go for a one wire alternator and get wrid of all problems?

Yes, you are right ! In my case I was twice in trouble with my charging system. 1. the original mechanical VR made problems....like charging sometimes and sometimes not - I ordered a solid state one that has a housing that looks like the original and with that one I get good charging but flickering lights...not much, but anough to reconize and its irritating me as I like things to work correct. What to do ? Order another VR and try again or go for a one wire alternator and get wrid of all problems?
I too am now facing a similar issue with my aging alternator. I have found a decent write up on upgrading to a more modern alternator if you are interested in that route. It’s the one I am about to take on my 69 tbird.

Back