1955-1957 Tbird Soft top frame

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just put on a factory soft top on my 1956 Thunderbird. Once i clamped the latches, i noticed that the rear bow that rest on the rear deck flexes up at the corners. I read that this is a common problem and people have added stiffener to the rear bow. This makes the rear bow sit flush to the rear deck. Has anyone ever done this repair?
I read that this rear bow actually comes in 3 pieces. This is what causes it to flex up at the edges after all the clamps are applied.

Hmmm, I don’t know what to say. Here’s a screenshot of the site. Maybe this will help.

Update; I was told by the previously owner of my 55 that he had the same problem- the rear corners of the soft top not sitting flush. He attributed it to the fact that the top assembly is a replacement 57 (purchased new from Ford) as the original was stolen!
I’m now in the process of stripping the old fabric etc. from mine and have discovered that most of the screws that hold the rear latch plates in place are missing. These 2 plates are what hold the 3 sections of the rear frame together. I can’t help but think that this might’ve been most of the problem!
So now I’ll clamp this piece down to and replace the missing screws and see where I am. I’m sure welding up these joints 0EA174CB-44CF-4DB9-91FD-F5BA10BE115E.jpegwould be a permanent solution but not one that all would approve of.

Welding is the recommended fix.

Back