Random Overheating Issue? '04 Thunderbird

Idaho Highboy

Idaho Highboy

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I wanted to share the end to a random overheating issue our '04 Thunderbird had for years. So I am clear, this issue would only pop up a couple of times each summer; the car is garaged as soon as the snow appears and doesn't come out until Spring. I had replaced the thermostat years prior and while I thought doing so initially cured our woes, overheating would haunt us from time to time - normally shortly after restarting and driving (warm engine conditions). The head over-temperature fault code would trip, but other than that no additional symptoms would present.

Well, just behind the t-stat housing is another piece of plastic that houses a plastic coolant hose. In our case that plastic cross-hose was deteriorated. It is my theory that such a condition would under the right conditions create uneven coolant flow conditions and overheat the engine (heads). If you are experiencing random overheating, I recommend you pull the hoses and inspect this part. I apologize that I didn't attach a photo or diagram, but it's pretty easy to see and repair. Of course, don't forget to bleed the coolant system anytime you replace a part (details found on the "2002 Overheating" post and on YouTube.

Thank you for the information. In my case, the thermostat housing had cracked and was leaking. The replacement part [Dorman 902-903 Housing Kit Assembly] was installed, which solved the problem. I suggest ( for ALL that are interested) to go on line and review the assembly, because for $77.95 and less than 30 minute labor, precaution is better than failure.....Regards, Michael (2004 Bird)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had too many cracks and leaks with all that plastic crap they use. Living in Las Vegas is hard on plastic. I have replaced the thermostat housing, then years later had to replace that plastic tube from the thermostat housing to the middle of the engine just under the intake manifold. and they way they built the engine In order to remove the plastic water tube I had to remove the intake manifold. Then I have had the water pump leak twice. I had bought the first one with a life time warranty.
my last problem was the coolant recovery tank cracked. Found one on line NEW OEM part for $38 with the hose from AM Auto parts.

I have found the reason for antifreeze dripping out the bell housing. If you pull out the rubber plug on front of transmission it will drain the water/antifreeze out. You still need to vacuum out the liquid and that should stop issues. I just fixed leaks on thermostat housing. Pressure tested system all good. The antifreeze dripping is what is trapped in bell housing around torque converter from before. I hope this helps others.

I have a 2003 that was overheating. I flushed and refilled the system and changed the thermostat. It started doing the same thing. It will get up to normal temp and then the gauge will almost peg at all the way hot. Pull over and it drops back to normal like the thermostat still isn’t opening. Maybe a bad thermostat? However, it hasn’t done it again in two weeks. Now it’s leaking coolant. It seems to be leaking from the rear of the engine down on top of the bell housing. I can’t see where it’s coming from. Any ideas? It doesn’t appear to be leaking when it’s running. Once it’s parked and shut off I get a puddle in the middle of the car towards the rear of the engine. Ugh. Anyone experience any of this before?

I have a 2003 that was overheating. I flushed and refilled the system and changed the thermostat. It started doing the same thing. It will get up to normal temp and then the gauge will almost peg at all the way hot. Pull over and it drops back to normal like the thermostat still isn’t opening. Maybe a bad thermostat? However, it hasn’t done it again in two weeks. Now it’s leaking coolant. It seems to be leaking from the rear of the engine down on top of the bell housing. I can’t see where it’s coming from. Any ideas? It doesn’t appear to be leaking when it’s running. Once it’s parked and shut off I get a puddle in the middle of the car towards the rear of the engine. Ugh. Anyone experience any of this before?
My 2004 problem solved with new factory water pump. Original design faulty.

Check that your radiator cap is holding pressure. My 2002 temp would peg then return to normal. In my case the radiator cap was losing pressure and then the cap would hold for a while. I opened the hood after a drive and I could the hear slight pressure leak at the cap. Replaced it and (fingers crossed) have not had any overheating since.

My 2004 Thunderbird leaks coolant from the new thermostat/t-stat housing assembly. Its all one unit that’s super easy to replace. The problem is once I replaced it, it continues to leak from the vent port located on the side of the t-stat housing assembly. My fan also runs on high but the car never overheats. When the first new t-stat began leaking I replaced it again thinking it was a bad t-stat and housing assembly. Once replaced I have the same problem. ( coolant leak ). #HELPME

My 2004 Thunderbird leaks coolant from the new thermostat/t-stat housing assembly. Its all one unit that’s super easy to replace. The problem is once I replaced it, it continues to leak from the vent port located on the side of the t-stat housing assembly. My fan also runs on high but the car never overheats. When the first new t-stat began leaking I replaced it again thinking it was a bad t-stat and housing assembly. Once replaced I have the same problem. ( coolant leak ). #HELPME
Maybe you need this part? https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...hermostat-housing-water-pumps.9778/post-65194

All kinds of information already on the forum. Search and read the threads.

Back