Doug Demuro Gives Unflattering Review of 02-05's

usmcdad
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Most of you won't find much to agree with in Doug's assessment of our cars. Doug makes some valid points, but he grossly underestimates the beautiful lines of the car, and the cool factor.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I wrote Doug and offered my car for review when he moved to San Diego. We emailed a few times. I gave my car a Doug score and it was 2 points lower than his. So I thought he was fair.

He pans the interior, but it had the same switches and interior plastic as his 05 Ford GT.

Most of you won't find much to agree with in Doug's assessment of our cars. Doug makes some valid points, but he grossly underestimates the beautiful lines of the car, and the cool factor.

I watched and listened quite carefully to Dogs 'Review' of the T-Bird. Twice, in fact.
Yes, the T-Bird was a limited run.
Yes, certain things attributable to the car's design and construction could have been done differently.
And yes, I will agree that certain corners may have been cut by Ford with regard to the car's construction.
However, at the same time, I can spend short or long periods of time in "any" car and come up with what I feel are shortcomings. I don't care if it is a $20,000 car or a $100,000 car. Shortcomings exist.......always.
My father, starting in 1955, used to buy a new T-Bird convertible every other year (until the convertibles no longer existed). None of those were perfect, either. But they were fun and kept him quite happy for many years. Once the convertibles no longer existed he stopped purchasing the T-Birds, but he always continued to say that if the convertibles ever came back, he would buy one once again. Once the return was announced, as somewhat of a surprise and unbeknownst to him, I ordered a red one for him, with every single option available, including the red lift of hard top. Upon its arrival at the dealership, I took my office assistant with me and we drove the car to my father's home and simply left it sitting in his driveway on that nice sunny day, keys and all. Seeing his face when he went home that day and both saw and learned that the car was his ended up being one of the most enjoyable days of my life.
So......Doug, don't try to convince me that the come-back and quality of the T-Bird was full of too many shortcomings to justify its existence, or its cost. That particular come-back provided me with one of the most joyful and pleasant days of my life. To this day, the car has never seen so much as even a sprinkle of rain, or even a partly cloudy day. Although my father has passed, the car now remains in one of my garages, and it will always be cared for just as it was when in his possession and garage.
Nothing is perfect, Doug. Nothing. Whether a car, or something else. Despite that fact, the short run of the return Birds brought smiles to thousands of faces. Thank Ford doing that, Doug. Don't simply sit back and focus on what you have spent so much time on doing nothing but provide criticisms.
J. R. G.

Last edited:
Okay, so I watched his video. Not impressed with a kid who has no concept of what a good car is. Nothing compares to the Bird, it was built as a comfortable cruiser, and it does the job quite nicely. Doug, seems to think a fourteen year old car should have been built to today s standards. But waite, any car could be picked apart, it's a matter of individual taste. So, like I said, Doug is a Doofus, with no taste, no class, and certainly no desire to do any research before bloviating negatively while sitting in a gorgeous Bird that will be a classic long after Doug is forgotten.

You know, the 55 T-Bird wasn't muscular, it was snazzy. the Mustang brought power.
My introduction was in 1959, the summer when my uncle took and others for a ride.
Doug wanted to blow it off.
I enjoy my 2005 and have since the showroom floor in December 2004.
@Jorv R. Gavic your entry follows my own experience, I bought my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug doesn't deserve a Bird. He's not a car guy in the truest sense.
Doug, stick to your pony car with its gimmicks and low resale.:po_O:rolleyes::D:cool::):oops::confused:

He should really learn how things work before he criticizes them.

Demuro is like any other 30 something year old. They grew up in mini vans being driven everywhere while they sat in the 2 ND row of seats.
They have no idea, none what so ever, what it is like to have grown up in a real two seat coupe. To call out " I've got shotgun" & know what it means, the significance of being able to sit in that wonderful seat in your buddy's car on the way home from a Friday night football game. None of that is in his dna. He has no concept of what the 2002-05 Thunderbird means or it heritage.
It is a shame but it is the the way kids his age are turning out. Full of opinions without any of life's real life to give them an actual experience to enjoy or write about.

I've driven my 2002 for 70,000+ miles and enjoyed the experience. I never felt like the interior was cheaply put together or the car was anything but what I wanted. The only problem, quality related, is that several years ago the chrome on the interior door handles started to peel. Mechanically, I had all 8 coils and the thermostat replaced and Ford replaced the radiator fan. My other car is one of the new Lincoln Continentals and I traded my Mark VIII in on the TBird so my experience hasn't exactly been with rent-a-wrecks. I tend to buy what I like and keep it. I've had the TBird for almost 17 years and my 1954 Corvette that I've driven 300,000+ miles for 50+ years. The Corvette doesn't have air, power windows (or windows for that matter) or FM radio or it probably would still be my daily driver.

Totally clueless. You either get the Retro Bird or you don't. His review is so full of fallacies that I can tell he didn't put much effort into it. I bought my '02 with 113,000 miles 3 years ago for $9,000. It has given me more pleasure than a car worth 4 times as much. I agree with some of the other posters, it seems to be an age/generation issue. I love my Bird! Best purchase I ever made!

Back