1972 429 Need help with Headers

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My original cast iron headers cracked/replaced in 2010 with headers for a GranTorino? maybe. Those had to be modified then, but now I need to replace those due to leak/warp. A FMS guy told me to go back to the originals but will they Handel the compression from a lifted cam and milled/modified heads? I found a set in Summit but they’re $600 and “performance/racing” headers.

They will handle it but the stock manifolds will restrict your flow. If you are chasing performance get a good set of headers.

It’s hard to find a decent set of headers due to the clearances in the engine bay. I would guess long tube would be a better option as short tube would just be a pain in the ass to get around the crossmember.

Lots of headers to fit a 429 but few if any to fit the 429 in a tbird. I bought some that missed by an inch or so and sold them at a loss. I think custom headers may be the only solution. I ended up finding a reinforced cast header that fit the passenger side. That was 400$ new.

Lots of headers to fit a 429 but few if any to fit the 429 in a tbird. I bought some that missed by an inch or so and sold them at a loss. I think custom headers may be the only solution. I ended up finding a reinforced cast header that fit the passenger side. That was 400$ new.
Yes I agree. I had too tried to get a set of headers, but due to the clearances its a pain. On the passenger side the the issue with the crossmember. On the drivers side its the linkage for the transmission. I would reccomend long tube headers, and even then its not very optimal.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hook...ders-1970-73-Ford-Mercury-429-460,144676.html
A set like these may work as you can see the way the are designed allows room for the crossmember. Though there is also the idler arm on the passenger side that could cause issues as well.

Back