1955 Thunderbird Road Draft Tube

Tater Salad

Tater Salad

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone deleted the road draft tube? Does anyone run one with any smoke, or oil drips on the garage floor? I am trying to decide which direction to go and I'm leaning toward leaving it, just curious if there's any unsightly (or smelly) issues.
On another note when I disassembled my engine the draft tube was loose, not a problem of course. But once I removed the valley pan the square nut that the hold down bolt for the draft tube attaches to, was lying next to the distributor gear. I had no clue what the square thing was until yesterday. I went to install the draft tube and noticed there was nothing to bolt it too.

Attachments

• 20181101_165224.jpg
    20181101_165224.jpg
    961.1 KB · Views: 3
Here in California the road draft tubes went away in the sixties to be replaced with a pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) valve. The pcv-v usually sealed with an o-ring into the hole where the road draft tube exited the engine. The other end of the pcv -v was connected to the carburetor or intake manifold routing oil vapors back into the engine's combustion chamber. You can go either way, as you please. The road draft tube can be thought of as a rust preventative for the undercarriage. With the rdt you will have oil vapors come out under the car. I doubt you will notice any odors. the mosre responsible thing is to go ther pcv-valve route. I will say that the amount of mileage you drive with your Thunderbird will likley be only a minor inconvenience to the atmosphere in comparison to your everday car.

Here in California the road draft tubes went away in the sixties to be replaced with a pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) valve. The pcv-v usually sealed with an o-ring into the hole where the road draft tube exited the engine. The other end of the pcv -v was connected to the carburetor or intake manifold routing oil vapors back into the engine's combustion chamber. You can go either way, as you please. The road draft tube can be thought of as a rust preventative for the undercarriage. With the rdt you will have oil vapors come out under the car. I doubt you will notice any odors. the mosre responsible thing is to go ther pcv-valve route. I will say that the amount of mileage you drive with your Thunderbird will likley be only a minor inconvenience to the atmosphere in comparison to your everday car.
Thanks Jack. I would love to put 20k on her a year, but the actual is probably closer to 750 miles per year. Thanks again for your response.
Anyone have any words that still run the draft tube?

If you have excessive smoke or oil coming from the draft tube it’s usually caused by blow by from the pistons. If your engine is fresh it shouldn’t be an issue. You need it to allow the engine to breath.

I would say that our average over the years would be about the same 750 miles unless we go to a convention.Some years more some years less.
all fun.

Has anyone deleted the road draft tube? Does anyone run one with any smoke, or oil drips on the garage floor? I am trying to decide which direction to go and I'm leaning toward leaving it, just curious if there's any unsightly (or smelly) issues.
On another note when I disassembled my engine the draft tube was loose, not a problem of course. But once I removed the valley pan the square nut that the hold down bolt for the draft tube attaches to, was lying next to the distributor gear. I had no clue what the square thing was until yesterday. I went to install the draft tube and noticed there was nothing to bolt it too.
What did you decide to do with your tube? did you fix the attachement nut for the top?

I still run the draft tube on my 56. The engine is in good condition so I don't get any smoke. Might get a little oil sheen on the underside though. I have no reason to change.

Back