Questions about interior restoration on a 1969 thunderbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Okay so I am finally pulling out my interior and I would like to ask some questions. Firstly and most importantly is anything made of asbestos? Any of the paint have lead in it? I have removed a lot already (made sure to wear a mask and gloves. Can I still get the insulation for the car? A lot of this old stuff seems to be made of some tar like material. Problem is its so old and brittle its mostly broken up and I'll play hell trying to get it back into the car again. Is that stuff some kind of sound deadening material? Or is it actually insulation?
Pictures of the interior!
IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0580.JPG IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0572.JPG
How does the top of the back seat come out? There is a few tiny holes in the drivers side floor pan. Not too bad really. What would you guys suggest I do? I have a MIG welder on hand, but do you think its the best idea to cut out the bad metal and weld in new stuff?

I guess I could just throw out all that old insulation and get some Dynaliner stock and cut it to fit right?

Finally I get to see you ! Great ! I am just about ready with my car after a complete repaint. Lots of friends told me I am nuts to paint the car as it was not so bad for ordinary people who looked at it. But I could not get to used to the small dings and scratches and a color difference on right front wing. So now it is done and every little detail is cleaned up and put back on the vehicle. It is great fun when getting to the point of return and built the car once again in a way. Every nut and bolt went thru my hands I guess...Next week will be a cruising week, enjoying the work on the street.
About your questing : When they build these cars they used some kind of asphalt plates for insulation. Not sure if they contain any asbestos. Also I came over a kind of led-paste they used to cover up joints. This stuff is really heavy and when it dries out it slips and loosens - I think I got rid of at least a kilo in my car ( reusing body silicon )
I wish you all the luck available with your project and about 150 plastic boxes for nuts and bolts and mark them for there return one day.

Finally I get to see you ! Great ! I am just about ready with my car after a complete repaint. Lots of friends told me I am nuts to paint the car as it was not so bad for ordinary people who looked at it. But I could not get to used to the small dings and scratches and a color difference on right front wing. So now it is done and every little detail is cleaned up and put back on the vehicle. It is great fun when getting to the point of return and built the car once again in a way. Every nut and bolt went thru my hands I guess...Next week will be a cruising week, enjoying the work on the street.
About your questing : When they build these cars they used some kind of asphalt plates for insulation. Not sure if they contain any asbestos. Also I came over a kind of led-paste they used to cover up joints. This stuff is really heavy and when it dries out it slips and loosens - I think I got rid of at least a kilo in my car ( reusing body silicon )
I wish you all the luck available with your project and about 150 plastic boxes for nuts and bolts and mark them for there return one day.
Lol I try to get all the nuts an bolts back! Though some still never seem to find their original homes. Ah well... Asphalt you say? Interesting... I would have though it was some tar like substance, but now it kinda makes sense as I can smell that crap as I pulled it out. Also I will make sure to use a mask and goggles when sanding the interior. How does the upper part of the back seat come out? I seen you have removed it on yours. Congrats on almost finishing your car! I am still so far out from completing mine, but that doesn't stop me from driving it when I can.

Upper seat part is 3 piece's . 3 screws on left and right corner piece and the middle part has 2 screws behind the upholstery all the way up (left/right) and one screw down against the floor

Okay! Drivers side is pretty much done! Drivers side I cut out the problem spot and welded in a new steel patch. Still working on that welding skill, but its decent enough and once the Dynaliner insulation and carpet go back in no one will see it anymore. I am also painting underneath the car as well so both sides get proper treatment. In the back there was a bunch of pinholes all over so instead of cutting out the floor pan (which you can't get anyway), I grinded clean all the metal and used JB Weld to fill in the pin holes. Had to put tape on the underside so the JB Weld would stay in place until it sets. Then I'll paint over it as well as underneath to seal it all in. Have to work the next couple days so this weekend I'll try to get the passenger side done. May or may not because my local airport is holding their annual World War 2 weekend event. So all kinds of vintage WW2 aircraft, reenactors wearing those hot ass cotton uniforms and also vehicles like tanks, apc's etc... Fun stuff! Gotta take the kids out to see it all you know.
car floor 5.jpgcar floor 1.jpg car floor 2.jpg car floor 3.jpg car floor 4.jpg

Last edited:
you still have not get the back seat out ?
Nah. I am not going to pull it out I don't think. I see the three bolts below, but how do you get to the bolts on the top or sides? Do I have to remove the trim or something?

Nothing like this. Its kid-easy.....3 bolts below as you say and 1 on each side of the walls about where the quader windows are then the seats fall right into your hands. They go out downwards

Nothing like this. Its kid-easy.....3 bolts below as you say and 1 on each side of the walls about where the quader windows are then the seats fall right into your hands. They go out downwards
Hey I got the back seats out! However I found a sheet tucked into the one of them in the back. Any idea what this is?
Sheet.jpg

It’s the build sheet for your car, protect it! Shows how the car was built all those years ago and with which options and when.

Last edited:
Dynamat is now in! Pictures! Tomorrow is rest of interior. Minus some nuts and bolts I need to go and get as the ones for the car mysteriously vanished.
floor 1.jpg

I did however find a nasty sized hole in the passenger side by the wheel house. Right at the base a good hole about the size of a dime. with a few other pin holes by it. I know for sure if I start grinding it will get much worse so for now just until I cat get enough money to get her to a body shop I just filled in the holes with JB Weld. It's good enough so no more water can get into the car. Hopefully later this year I can get the car to a body shop to fix it all up.

Back