1969 Thunderbird Air Cleaner snorkel questions

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So I am taking my air cleaner out to be sand blasted and powder coated, but I want to know what this is on the bottom of the snorkel.
Snorkel.jpg
Do I need this? Or can I just rip it off and get rid of it. It looks like a vacuum check valve or something. Defiantly something that won't survive the baking that's going to happen when it gets powder coated.

So I am taking my air cleaner out to be sand blasted and powder coated, but I want to know what this is on the bottom of the snorkel.
View attachment 3901
Do I need this? Or can I just rip it off and get rid of it. It looks like a vacuum check valve or something. Defiantly something that won't survive the baking that's going to happen when it gets powder coated.

If I remember correctly it a vacuum operated valve that opens the baffle when you step on the gas. It's purpose is to allow more air in as you are accelerating. It's been a long time and I would have to look at a manual to figure out exactly everything that is involved in that setup. I remember thinking once "Why is that there if I have a choke doing the same thing on the carburetor?"

If I remember correctly it a vacuum operated valve that opens the baffle when you step on the gas. It's purpose is to allow more air in as you are accelerating. It's been a long time and I would have to look at a manual to figure out exactly everything that is involved in that setup. I remember thinking once "Why is that there if I have a choke doing the same thing on the carburetor?"
Ah so not really needed. Well since most of it is missing anyway I am just going to drill out the rivets and remove it. That vacuum valve will not survive the baking process anyway when it get powder coated.

Ah so not really needed. Well since most of it is missing anyway I am just going to drill out the rivets and remove it. That vacuum valve will not survive the baking process anyway when it get powder coated.
I remember there was a duct that went from that snorkel down to a piece on the exhaust manifold. It allowed the car to get in hot air when first started. (Part of Emissions stuff). I just cannot remember where the vacuum line hooked. (possibly at carburetor base or a valve that was part of the heat riser setup?)
If memory serves correct it would block ambient air and let in hot air when the car was still cold and then would switch over (somehow using vacuum) to allow ambient air into the air cleaner.

Te term "thermistor" comes to mind. Anyway. The attached diagram reminded me. The vacuum actuator on the snorkel connects to the sensing valve in the base of the air cleaner then a vacuum line goes from the sensing valve to the vacuum source. Sorry I don't rmember if it was on the carb or the intake. I copied this from my 1970 Motor's Manual;
late Ford air cleaner.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, to use heated air during the warm up cycle. Sure you can lose it.

I remember there was a duct that went from that snorkel down to a piece on the exhaust manifold. It allowed the car to get in hot air when first started. (Part of Emissions stuff). I just cannot remember where the vacuum line hooked. (possibly at carburetor base or a valve that was part of the heat riser setup?)
If memory serves correct it would block ambient air and let in hot air when the car was still cold and then would switch over (somehow using vacuum) to allow ambient air into the air cleaner.
Most of that stuff is long gone since the original engine was changed out to a 460 at some point.

There is or was a vacuum switch that is closed when the engine is cold then opens as the engine warms up. The flapper valve in the air cleaner housing is set to suck air off the exhaust manifold when no vacuum is applied.

OAO, you might want to confirm that the vacuum switch is plugged so you don’t have a vacuum leak.

There is or was a vacuum switch that is closed when the engine is cold then opens as the engine warms up. The flapper valve in the air cleaner housing is set to suck air off the exhaust manifold when no vacuum is applied.

OAO, you might want to confirm that the vacuum switch is plugged so you don’t have a vacuum leak.
Yeah I need to sniff around and see if they did in fact plug it. I did however perform a vacuum test on the car. It seemed alright. And sucking hot air? That seems like such a stupid idea. Is cold air better for an engine? I thought colder air carries more O2 with it.

Cold air intakes increase horsepower and torque at wider open throttle. Warm air does speed up the warm up cycle, but as long as you have an automatic or manual choke, no point messing with that flapper valve.

Hi OAO. As long as we're talking about air, here is a pretty cool article on a home made "Thunderbolt style" ram air setup.

Doug

https://dazecars.com/dazed/RamAir.html
Heh, thats pretty cool but I was thinking about putting a shaker scoop on the car. There is plenty of space on the hood for it and I think the car would look pretty cool with one. The Torino I feel would be the best candidate since they shared the same motor. Though I feel the 351 air cleaner is similar to the big block ford air cleaners right? I just need to make a hole int he hood for the shaker itself.

Nice! A hood scoop will look pretty cool. I have a 351W air cleaner housing and it looks quite similar to the one in your initial post above. Will you build some sort of plenum to connect the housing to the scoop?

Hi OAO. I guess I don't understand how these things work. I found this pic on the dark net. If the intake air is going through the scoop, why is there a snorkel in the air cleaner housing?

Doug

upload_2019-5-15_8-18-30.png

Hi OAO. I guess I don't understand how these things work. I found this pic on the dark net. If the intake air is going through the scoop, why is there a snorkel in the air cleaner housing?

Doug

View attachment 3972
You can open and close the scoop manually through the car either usually through a cable or vacuum. Its so if you are driving in rain. So you don't suck water down into your engine.

Back