Replacement fuel tank doesn't match original

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just inherited a 91 V8 that had been sitting in a barn for 13 years. Needless to say, the tank was completely sludged. So I removed it in order to replace with a new one. The original tank is plastic and sort of has 2 sides with a deeply recessed section in the center for the driveshaft/ exhaust. The replacement tank which I ordered online is steel and looks exactly like every other replacement tank I found online, except that it looks nothing like the factory tank and won't come close to fitting. It is basically a rectangular shape with no recess going down the middle for the driveshaft. Any thoughts as to where to find the right part would be appreciated! As I said, I looked long and hard for one that matches (with my correct YMM) and there is nothing to be found!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Try Rock Auto Spectra P/N F19 gas tank. Is that possibly the tank you're looking for?
Maybe F91A or F85A?

Last edited:
I just inherited a 91 V8 that had been sitting in a barn for 13 years. Needless to say, the tank was completely sludged. So I removed it in order to replace with a new one. The original tank is plastic and sort of has 2 sides with a deeply recessed section in the center for the driveshaft/ exhaust. The replacement tank which I ordered online is steel and looks exactly like every other replacement tank I found online, except that it looks nothing like the factory tank and won't come close to fitting. It is basically a rectangular shape with no recess going down the middle for the driveshaft. Any thoughts as to where to find the right part would be appreciated! As I said, I looked long and hard for one that matches (with my correct YMM) and there is nothing to be found!

Is there something wrong with the original plastic tank? can you clean and flush the plastic tank and put it back in the car?

Back