Bought 69 bird stored for 40 years.

Spectra premium tank? Just a heads up they are "slightly" smaller than the original tank. I had the tank replaced in my 69 Tbird and I saw the tank was lightly smaller. Nothing to worry about mind you. It fit just as well as the original. You are going to have a PITA trying to drop the tank with the axle and exhaust in the way. Though now would be a good time to pull all that out and inspect for corrosion and rot. Also everything underneath.
View attachment 3776 View attachment 3777 View attachment 3778 View attachment 3779 View attachment 3780 View attachment 3781 View attachment 3782
The last image is especially important. Those I feel are prone to rotting out.
Thank you for the very useful info. I will look hard at everything under her while the tank is out. I'm hoping I can clean the tank I have but got a Liland Global tank from rock auto. It was even cheaper than the Spectra lol. I'm hoping there will be very little rot underneath since the car was only on the road for 10 years before heated storage when I got my hands on her.

Thank you for the very useful info. I will look hard at everything under her while the tank is out. I'm hoping I can clean the tank I have but got a Liland Global tank from rock auto. It was even cheaper than the Spectra lol. I'm hoping there will be very little rot underneath since the car was only on the road for 10 years before heated storage when I got my hands on her.
You will be surprised how fast things can rot out. A lot underneath is very poorly undercoated/painted or none at all. Ten years of road use can accumulate a lot of dirt and debris. A lot of stuff just tends to sit and eat through the metal from the inside out. Be very through on your inspection and clean and paint everything that is exposed. Eastwood has a nice line up of rust converter/encapsulator and top coat. When I did mine I spend a few weeks wire brushing to remove all the surface rust and painted it.

I however live on the east coast so rust and rot is more common here. Not sure where you live, but that is the major determining factor.
IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG IMG_0288 (1).JPG IMG_0289 (1).JPG IMG_0290 (1).JPG IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0308 (1).JPG IMG_0310.JPG

Also when removing the fuel tank neck inspect around the top of the neck where it comes up out of the car. Ford put a lot of rubber in there (probably for vibration I guess...), and all that stuff does is hold water and eat the metal around it.

Also be warned about those new reproduction fuel sending units. I have read a few stories of some that were pretty poor quality and would end up leaking quite soon after instillation.

You will be surprised how fast things can rot out. A lot underneath is very poorly undercoated/painted or none at all. Ten years of road use can accumulate a lot of dirt and debris. A lot of stuff just tends to sit and eat through the metal from the inside out. Be very through on your inspection and clean and paint everything that is exposed. Eastwood has a nice line up of rust converter/encapsulator and top coat. When I did mine I spend a few weeks wire brushing to remove all the surface rust and painted it.

I however live on the east coast so rust and rot is more common here. Not sure where you live, but that is the major determining factor.
View attachment 3811 View attachment 3812 View attachment 3813
View attachment 3814 View attachment 3815 View attachment 3816 View attachment 3817 View attachment 3818 View attachment 3819 View attachment 3820
Hey OAO, did you do all that undercoating with a brush? I'm impressed!

Doug

Spectra premium tank? Just a heads up they are "slightly" smaller than the original tank. I had the tank replaced in my 69 Tbird and I saw the tank was lightly smaller. Nothing to worry about mind you. It fit just as well as the original. You are going to have a PITA trying to drop the tank with the axle and exhaust in the way. Though now would be a good time to pull all that out and inspect for corrosion and rot. Also everything underneath.
View attachment 3776 View attachment 3777 View attachment 3778 View attachment 3779 View attachment 3780 View attachment 3781 View attachment 3782
The last image is especially important. Those I feel are prone to rotting out.
20190706_194851.jpg 20190706_194846.jpg

I was so excited today when I replaced my tank and saw only minor surface rust.

I spend a couple days cleaning everything up and I welded in a patch for the place that were rusted.

Everything was very solid. Lots of under coating protected from the elements. I'll most likely put it on the lift and wash the underside. She has a few leaks that need addressed.

Finaly got to take her out on her maiden voyage with me behind the wheel. Still a little tweeking to do on the carb. Next is tires and brakes.

Just bought a super clean 69 bird that has been in heated storage for 40 years. Has 109000 miles on her. I've changed the oil, cleaned the points, filled coolant, replaced the radiator cap and filled the carb bowls. She lives....kinda. it has a horrible tick in the top end. I'll be pulling valve covers to investigate the noise but she runs pretty smooth. Cant wait to get her on the road again. I look forward to picking some brains here.
Hey there! Just bought a '70 Landau Sedan - see my profile pic...

Back