Is a wind deflector worth it for the 02-05 Thunderbird?

Hemi Bob

Hemi Bob

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My brother-in-law says the wind deflector makes a huge difference on his Infinity convertible. I haven't noticed a need on my recently acquired 05, but my wife thinks it's worth investigating so I wanted to see what actual users thought before investing $300 in something that may not be necessary. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother-in-law says the wind deflector makes a huge difference on his Infinity convertible. I haven't noticed a need on my recently acquired 05, but my wife thinks it's worth investigating so I wanted to see what actual users thought before investing $300 in something that may not be necessary. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

I didn't think it was worth the bucks. Windshield has a pretty good rake. Speeds in the 50/60 range aren't bad with wind buffeting. Least not in my book. My spousal unit is the convertible person. She doesn't bother with it

I believe there are many things to consider.
1 Do you live in the North or the South?
2. Do you drive the car on Freeways at 85 or backroads at 40?
3. Is this the deciding factor for your wife to accompany you with the top down?

In my own case the car is a daily driver,, I live in the South and drive on all types of roads, in all types of weather, but if wife is along and I am on the freeway at 85 we both prefer the top up.

I live in the South and drive on all types of roads, in all types of weather, but if wife is along and I am on the freeway at 85 we both prefer the top up.

Ours is a garage queen living up north.. Usually if we are going to be on the highway or interstate for any amount of time over 15 or so minutes we usually put the top up.. I personally hate the road noise from heavy trucks and 18 wheelers..

I would say yes definitely. My wife does not like to go very far with the top down because of hair issues. With the wind deflector she loves it. Our '05 is a garage queen at least 6 months of the year and we drive it less than 3K miles per year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours is a garage queen living up north.. Usually if we are going to be on the highway or interstate for any amount of time over 15 or so minutes we usually put the top up.. I personally hate the road noise from heavy trucks and 18 wheelers..
Whenever possible I take the long way - stay off the Interstate!

I believe there are many things to consider.
1 Do you live in the North or the South?
2. Do you drive the car on Freeways at 85 or backroads at 40?
3. Is this the deciding factor for your wife to accompany you with the top down?

In my own case the car is a daily driver,, I live in the South and drive on all types of roads, in all types of weather, but if wife is along and I am on the freeway at 85 we both prefer the top up.

We live in Orlando and I do both freeways at 80 and backroads. She's been great with the top down, just wondering if it could be better.

Once I drove the 100 mile weekly road trip to San Diego with the top down. I have a pair of Bose QuietContol 30 ear buds that dropped out all of the road noise. It was amazing how quiet it was driving like that. Since I listen to Audible and use Waze, it is a perfect combination to use with my phone's Bluetooth. I now keep them under my front seat for when the top is down and I am on the freeway.

I got one for Christmas not on the car yet as the hardtop is still on. hoping it will control some of the backwards wind that blows my hair into my eyes (I resemble my user name) .

I have had a wind deflector for years on my 05. I like how it looks but feel it is only a small improvement over just the windshield. I have a very picky wife about her curly hair so on the expressway, we protect the hair and the top is up.

I got one for Christmas not on the car yet as the hardtop is still on. hoping it will control some of the backwards wind that blows my hair into my eyes (I resemble my user name) .
hoisted the top up and installed the wind deflector(easy)and since have been out a couple times, the first time about 40 degrees outside ,I noticed some less wind but not a major amount I like the look(sometimes) I went for about 10 minutes and windows were down
2nd time out took Terri and was about 45 degrees out we also went for about 3 hours. obviously even less wind but we both were pleasantly surprised an how comfortable we were. we of course had the heat on but often had to turn it down. also it was considerably quieter in the cockpit .
we wont drive that way all the time but good to know we can.
so far I like it

My wife likes the wind, but if it becomes annoying she puts on a light weight scarf. This I believe is a carry over from our many years of boating & water skiing.

Well, I said I'd update everyone once I got it installed and tested. Unfortunately, I don't believe it made any difference. Even more unfortunate is the fact that my wife doesn't feel it made any difference either. On top of that, there isn't sufficient value either. When you consider my new top stand was $108 and my hoist was $179, paying $275 for an aluminum frame, screen and two small mounting clamps is a bit outrageous. The only thing I can figure is they charge the same for this as they do for the folding, four piece set-up they use on four passenger convertibles, where it has to cover the back seat and fold-up to fit in the trunk. The one positive is that it's a perfect fit for still allowing the soft top up and down while in place. I went into this figuring I was probably getting ripped off, but at least my wife is now comfortable she's not missing out on something good. Live and learn.IMG_20190402_170627380_HDR.jpg IMG_20190402_170638391_HDR.jpg IMG_20190403_150146645_HDR.jpg IMG_20190403_150152480_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the up date
After having our 05 for soon to be 14 yrss using our convertible as our daily driver, usually the top is down more than up & closed my wife sees the windscreen as a completely unnecessary item. If she feels that her hair may get wind blowen for wherever she going she just putts on a light scarf.
But she is a California girl who has always loved the sun & the breeze. A little messed up hair style is to be expected & fun.

Well, I said I'd update everyone once I got it installed and tested. Unfortunately, I don't believe it made any difference. Even more unfortunate is the fact that my wife doesn't feel it made any difference either. On top of that, there isn't sufficient value either. When you consider my new top stand was $108 and my hoist was $179, paying $275 for an aluminum frame, screen and two small mounting clamps is a bit outrageous. The only thing I can figure is they charge the same for this as they do for the folding, four piece set-up they use on four passenger convertibles, where it has to cover the back seat and fold-up to fit in the trunk. The one positive is that it's a perfect fit for still allowing the soft top up and down while in place. I went into this figuring I was probably getting ripped off, but at least my wife is now comfortable she's not missing out on something good. Live and learn.View attachment 3615 View attachment 3616 View attachment 3617 View attachment 3618
I have a Windblox deflector that cost a lot less than $275, and it works great (and I am the main driver).
The only time it doesnt work as well is at highway speed with a cross wind. Then I wear a visor and a scarf LOL

Attachments

• 20190117_181116.jpg
    20190117_181116.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
I have a Windblox deflector that cost a lot less than $275, and it works great (and I am the main driver).
The only time it doesnt work as well is at highway speed with a cross wind. Then I wear a visor and a scarf LOL
Thanks for the reply and photo, I wish you had replied earlier as I never saw this product when I was doing my research. I like the fact that it's clear, as I notice the screening on mine every time I look in the rear view mirror.

Thanks for the reply and photo, I wish you had replied earlier as I never saw this product when I was doing my research. I like the fact that it's clear, as I notice the screening on mine every time I look in the rear view mirror.
I had posted a picture and info on a previous thread about wind deflectors, but that was a while ago. I had to get a new phone and was offline for awhile-sorry I missed your inquiry.
Some car guys aren't impressed with the Windblox deflector, but I think it works well.

Back