62 thunderbird starting problems after cleaning gas tank

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
M

Marquette88

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My car started fine, but I wanted to clean out the gas tank as it had been sitting for a while. I took the tank out, but had it sitting for about a week before I could clean it. I cleaned it out fine, but when I put everything back together, it no longer started. Fuel is just not being transported thru the lines. I put fuel directly into the fuel pump, but when I tried to start it, it didnt even try to take the fuel, if that makes sense. Is it just the fuel sending unit that's the problem, did I do something wrong, or is it something bigger.

Attachments

• 20190316_130729.jpg
    20190316_130729.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20190316_134047.jpg
    20190316_134047.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Might the two lines connecting to the fuel pump be reversed?

More pictures of the fuel pump/filter and general area. Picture of the only fuel line I touched that was near the gas tank. Video of me trying to start the car. It's like the car isnt even trying to start. Wasnt able to get it on video, but when I tried starting earlier, solenoid started making noise. Not sure if it's supposed to, maybe its just beencovered up by the other sounds of the engine being started. Feeling frustrated and confused, please help!

Attachments

• 20190316_190415.jpg
    20190316_190415.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190316_190426.jpg
    20190316_190426.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190316_190356.jpg
    20190316_190356.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190316_185004.jpg
    20190316_185004.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
How long did you try to start it? If you had the tank out for a week I would imagine the fuel in the feed line drained back out. Since your fuel pump is mechanical mounted on the engine and your line is from the tank you would have to allow the pump to create enough pull to bring fuel from tank to pump and to carb. Have you tried any fuel/starting fluid directly into the carb to see if it fires up? If I follow your description and pictures what your calling a sending unit is actually your fuel level sending unit/float. That would be for your gauge and not for fuel delivery. Don’t get to frustrated you need fuel,spark,and air to run and since you only altered fuel I’m sure we can all help you get this sorted out.

Last edited:
My car started fine, but I wanted to clean out the gas tank as it had been sitting for a while. I took the tank out, but had it sitting for about a week before I could clean it. I cleaned it out fine, but when I put everything back together, it no longer started. Fuel is just not being transported thru the lines. I put fuel directly into the fuel pump, but when I tried to start it, it didnt even try to take the fuel, if that makes sense. Is it just the fuel sending unit that's the problem, did I do something wrong, or is it something bigger.
Pour some fuel onto your air cleaner, the engine will run for a few seconds. Watch the fuel filter, you can see when fuel is running through it. If the engine won't run with the fuel on the filter you have another problem.

How long did you try to start it? If you had the tank out for a week I would imagine the fuel in the feed line drained back out. Since your fuel pump is mechanical mounted on the engine and your line is from the tank you would have to allow the pump to create enough pull to bring fuel from tank to pump and to carb. Have you tried any fuel/starting fluid directly into the carb to see if it fires up? If I follow your description and pictures what your calling a sending unit is actually your fuel level sending unit/float. That would be for your gauge and not for fuel delivery. Don’t get to frustrated you need fuel,spark,and air to run and since you only altered fuel I’m sure we can all help you get this sorted out.
I was trying to start it for a while. It's like when I turn the key the engine doesnt even try to start. I poured some gasoline into the carb and still nothing. All you can hear is the key turning. I tried uploading a video, but it says invalid file extension

Also, fuel pump and carb are aftermarket

I saw the edelbrock carb, what are you referring to as your fuel pump? Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if it’s been replaced at this point as it’s mechanical and the diaphragm inside goes bad. The pump mounts to the engine and has one line in from tank and one out going up to the carb. It’s a simple pull push deal. I see fuel in your inline filter so was this picture taken prior to the issue or since?

I saw the edelbrock carb, what are you referring to as your fuel pump? Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if it’s been replaced at this point as it’s mechanical and the diaphragm inside goes bad. The pump mounts to the engine and has one line in from tank and one out going up to the carb.

I saw the edelbrock carb, what are you referring to as your fuel pump? Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if it’s been replaced at this point as it’s mechanical and the diaphragm inside goes bad. The pump mounts to the engine and has one line in from tank and one out going up to the carb. It’s a simple pull push deal. I see fuel in your inline filter so was this picture taken prior to the issue or since?
When I was taking pictures must have been in the wrong state of mind I just took a picture of fuel filter which helps nobody lol. U are correct it was replaced a couple months ago, it is still mechanical however.

Attachments

• 20190317_131701.jpg
    20190317_131701.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190317_131728.jpg
    20190317_131728.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
When you say you only hear the key turn are you meaning the starter isn’t engaging? Or it’s just cranking over.

When you say you only hear the key turn are you meaning the starter isn’t engaging? Or it’s just cranking over.
It's not cranking over. I have a video of me trying to start it, but when I try to upload it it just says Its an invalid file extension

Ok, when you said the solenoid started making a noise are you speaking of the solenoid on the fender apron or the starter solenoid? If it isn’t even turning over then it seems you have gained a problem totally seperate from your repair. Not sure what you have access to for spare pieces but if possible id try another solenoid. It won’t start if that goes bad. Probably a long shot, not sure where you’re located but if by any chance your near me I wouldn’t be opposed to meeting up with you and giving you a hand

It's the solenoid near the front of the car by the battery, not sure which one that is. I live in socal, if you are close by we can definitely meet up

Ok, when you said the solenoid started making a noise are you speaking of the solenoid on the fender apron or the starter solenoid? If it isn’t even turning over then it seems you have gained a problem totally seperate from your repair. Not sure what you have access to for spare pieces but if possible id try another solenoid. It won’t start if that goes bad. Probably a long shot, not sure where you’re located but if by any chance your near me I wouldn’t be opposed to meeting up with you and giving you a hand
It's the solenoid near the front of the car by the battery, not sure which one that is. I live in socal, if you are close by we can definitely meet up

Well I’d say we’re a fair bit apart, I’m in western N.Y. so that would be a haul. If I got everything going on correct it sounds like you turn the key and get no response no turn over nothing so your issue isn’t a result of what you have already replaced. I could tell you how to jumper the solenoid to bypass it and see if it cures your issue but as my wife tells me I dont always give the best directions for what im describing. What you could do is google how to bypass a Ford starter solenoid and I would imagine there will be countless articles pictures and quite possibly videos that will show you how. Atleast then you would know what to replace, or if you like being adventurous you can jumper it for awhile. I drove a uhaul truck 1200 miles doing that very thing one time.

Well I’d say we’re a fair bit apart, I’m in western N.Y. so that would be a haul. If I got everything going on correct it sounds like you turn the key and get no response no turn over nothing so your issue isn’t a result of what you have already replaced. I could tell you how to jumper the solenoid to bypass it and see if it cures your issue but as my wife tells me I dont always give the best directions for what im describing. What you could do is google how to bypass a Ford starter solenoid and I would imagine there will be countless articles pictures and quite possibly videos that will show you how. Atleast then you would know what to replace, or if you like being adventurous you can jumper it for awhile. I drove a uhaul truck 1200 miles doing that very thing one time.
I'll definitely look into that. Thank you for all the help!

Some terminology: the gizmo by the battery is the starter switch and it doesn't make noticeable noise when it operates. What it does is to close a circuit and send power to the starter.

The starter solenoid is on the starter itself and it engages the starter pinion gear into the flywheel ring gear. That one you should be able to hear.

Back