Speaker size for 1969 Thunderbird

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone know the size of the speakers for the 1969 Thunderbird? I want to replace my mummified paper cone speakers with modern ones. I knows there is one in each door, one in the dash I believe? Plus two in the rear.

Does anyone know the size of the speakers for the 1969 Thunderbird? I want to replace my mummified paper cone speakers with modern ones. I knows there is one in each door, one in the dash I believe? Plus two in the rear.

I know the front is 4X10, I got a two-way replacement that was a big improvement. I need to replace the rears but not sure of the size. I have AM so I don't have the door speakers.

I know the front is 4X10, I got a two-way replacement that was a big improvement. I need to replace the rears but not sure of the size. I have AM so I don't have the door speakers.
AM really? Didn't think that they would still use AM then too. Mind is AM/FM stereo. A speaker in each door, one in the dash and two it seems in the back. Gotta squeeze my ass into that space where the spare tire was (It was still the bias ply spare in there too!), to try and get to them.

I saw on ebay a few options I am considering. One is a look alike radio that fits exactly in the same space as the original one except it has a modern USB port for your ipod or whatever music device you got. The other lol was an original radio with the 8 track player. Well that is if you are into 8 track that is.

4 x 6 is in your Front Doors. Rear deck is a 6" Round. With a little finagling....you may get in a 6x9 which is what I put in one of my 71's

I build my own radio in my 68. My original radio was only AM with 8-track (stereo) Still using the original speakers as they are still good. I used a chineas radio with FM, cut it and found the connections for valume, search, tone etc. and managed to move the controlls to its correct place. At the moment I am happy with that sollution - at least I can get FM music stations. Have a look at the pics.

30.01.2019 001.JPG30.01.2019 002.JPG30.01.2019 003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I build my own radio in my 68. My original radio was only AM with 8-track (stereo) Still using the original speakers as they are still good. I used a chineas radio with FM, cut it and found the connections for valume, search, tone etc. and managed to move the controlls to its correct place. At the moment I am happy with that sollution - at least I can get FM music stations. Have a look at the pics.View attachment 3156 View attachment 3157 View attachment 3158 View attachment 3159 View attachment 3160 View attachment 3161 View attachment 3162 View attachment 3156 View attachment 3157 View attachment 3158 View attachment 3159 View attachment 3160 View attachment 3161 View attachment 3162 View attachment 3156
Is that the custom radio they have for our birds? I am very much interested in getting it.

No, I made this out of a 20 Dollar chineas purchase and added a little 2x 30 watts amp to it. I moved the controlls to the original positions and used original knobs. Nice ?

AM really? Didn't think that they would still use AM then too. Mind is AM/FM stereo. A speaker in each door, one in the dash and two it seems in the back. Gotta squeeze my ass into that space where the spare tire was (It was still the bias ply spare in there too!), to try and get to them.

I saw on ebay a few options I am considering. One is a look alike radio that fits exactly in the same space as the original one except it has a modern USB port for your ipod or whatever music device you got. The other lol was an original radio with the 8 track player. Well that is if you are into 8 track that is.

Heh, AM was around long before FM and is still in car radios today. It was the base radio for 70 Birds. Not too many 8-track tapes left around and they are likely so degraded that you wouldn't want to use them anyway. Hell, even back in the day when they were new they always jammed. You'd see cartridges thrown out the window along the highway with miles of tape blowing in the wind from them.

I have the original spare tire too, but for 1970 radials became standard and it is a Silverstone radial.

Heh, AM was around long before FM and is still in car radios today. It was the base radio for 70 Birds. Not too many 8-track tapes left around and they are likely so degraded that you wouldn't want to use them anyway. Hell, even back in the day when they were new they always jammed. You'd see cartridges thrown out the window along the highway with miles of tape blowing in the wind from them.

I have the original spare tire too, but for 1970 radials became standard and it is a Silverstone radial.
Heh, I have the original spare in mine as well. Good ole bais ply tire. I just pulled it out and tossed it into the storage with the rest of the things I pulled out of the car when I got it. I still have the factory owners manual as well as the warranty card. Hmmm... I wonder if I take it to a Ford dealership would they still honor it? I mean the warranty is good for 50k miles and my car only shows 41k. What are my chances you think?

Heh, I have the original spare in mine as well. Good ole bais ply tire. I just pulled it out and tossed it into the storage with the rest of the things I pulled out of the car when I got it. I still have the factory owners manual as well as the warranty card. Hmmm... I wonder if I take it to a Ford dealership would they still honor it? I mean the warranty is good for 50k miles and my car only shows 41k. What are my chances you think?

Not good, but think how much free work you could have done if they did! I think back in the 60s it was just 12 months coverage. Or was it 3 years?

Ford mechanics nowadays could not repair such cars anyway
True considering when I took my 1992 Ford Taurus SHO to a dealership the were surprised to see a Taurus with a 5 speed in it. One salesmen (an older dude) even said... "Oh wow, I never knew they put sticks into these cars."

Dash is 4x10. Doors are 4x8 and the rears are 5x5. This info came from the ford parts books so should be good.

Back