1956 Speedometer quit working, will 57 work?

P
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1956 bird and the angle drive speedometer quit working , I’ve been told that one off a 57 will work and I just have to use the same drive gear, is this true has anyone else had this issue, I’ve been told that the 57 speedometer drive cable is long enough for this application and if so I would rather spend $25 for it compared to $250 for the 56 part, any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Pete

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please, please please, the OP and anyone reading this, use a detailed meaningful title when posting to the forum! It's so important when people are viewing a summary of posts.

Putting 1956 Tbird means nothing, are you selling the car, did you just buy one, did you just see one? It could mean anything.

This thread is not about a 1956 Tbird, it's about a 1956 Tbird Speedometer.

Updating title now. Thanks everyone for your help making the forum user friendly and searchable on Google.

I have a 1956 bird and the angle drive speedometer quit working , I’ve been told that one off a 57 will work and I just have to use the same drive gear, is this true has anyone else had this issue, I’ve been told that the 57 speedometer drive cable is long enough for this application and if so I would rather spend $25 for it compared to $250 for the 56 part, any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Pete

I do not know the answer to your question. My car was converted to a 289 - 3 speed before it came into my possession. But I did find a better price for the right angle drive. $180 at obsolete classic auto parts. (www.classicautoparts.com)
Or rebuilt at $145 at Prestige Thunderbird. (need to send your old one as a core)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that I personally would take a shot at the $25 speedometer cable and remove the adapter to see if it works. Hell, I spend more than $25 to go out for breakfast with my wife! It's wort a shot I would guess. It looks to me like the adapter is mainly just to turn the cable from hitting on something.

What about (god forbid) a GM part? I have a right angle adapter for a 1980 Corvette in my garage. I know I didn't pay anywhere near $250 for that adapter. What about aftermarket? There might be something available. I only ask because if you are considering trying to use a '57 cable then you are not so "purist" that it has to be the original configuration.

I know that I personally would take a shot at the $25 speedometer cable and remove the adapter to see if it works. Hell, I spend more than $25 to go out for breakfast with my wife! It's wort a shot I would guess. It looks to me like the adapter is mainly just to turn the cable from hitting on something.

What about (god forbid) a GM part? I have a right angle adapter for a 1980 Corvette in my garage. I know I didn't pay anywhere near $250 for that adapter. What about aftermarket? There might be something available. I only ask because if you are considering trying to use a '57 cable then you are not so "purist" that it has to be the original configuration.

Nope not a purist, just looking to save a few bucks, I am going to try the 57 speedo cable , I talked with someone who is an expert on these baby birds and says he has not tried it but heard of others that have and it did work, thank you all for the comments.

Nope not a purist, just looking to save a few bucks, I am going to try the 57 speedo cable , I talked with someone who is an expert on these baby birds and says he has not tried it but heard of others that have and it did work, thank you all for the comments.
Make sure you come back and let us know your results. It may help someone else "down the road". :)

Back