63 Hardtop - what is the correct height?

Letitflow

Letitflow

LET IT FLOW
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
What is the proper (stock) height for my 63 bird? How do you measure from the ground up and where? My shocks and springs look decent but I feel like I’m riding too low. Thanks, and yes I’m a newbie.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What is the proper (stock) height for my 63 bird? How do you measure from the ground up and where? My shocks and springs look decent but I feel like I’m riding too low. Thanks, and yes I’m a newbie.

The ride height with the original 14 inch wheels, with proper tire inflation and a full tank of gas should be as follows:

Front: from the highest point of the wheel well to the level ground should be 27 inches.

Rear: to the same point on the rear wheel well should be 20. 5 inches on level ground.

The original rake of the 61 thru 66 should appear as a reverse wedge (higher in the front than the rear).

I trust this is what you were looking for.

Yes I am an "Oldbie" 52 years a Thunderbird owner.

Gord

Last edited:
The ride height with the original 14 inch wheels, with proprp tire inflation and a full tank of gas should be as follows:

Front: from the highest point of the wheel well to the level ground should be 27 inches.

Rear: to the same point on the rear wheel well should be 20. 5 inches on level ground.

The original rake of the 61 thru 66 should appear as a reverse wedge (higher in the front than the rear).

I trust this is what you were looking for.

Gord

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED !!!!!!!

Thanks Gord, I just did some preliminary measuring (tire psi close, 3/4 tank of fuel) and I’m an inch low (per your specs) but I need to do it agan and do it right etc... I just added some weight, not sure how much, with 4 disc brakes, master cyl., steering box, and more but most was a swap for something else so, whatever. I can do some stuff but have a guy helping me big time. I can get down there but I cant get back up. Lol

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED !!!!!!!

Thanks Gord, I just did some preliminary measuring (tire psi close, 3/4 tank of fuel) and I’m an inch low (per your specs) but I need to do it agan and do it right etc... I just added some weight, not sure how much, with 4 disc brakes, master cyl., steering box, and more but most was a swap for something else so, whatever. I can do some stuff but have a guy helping me big time. I can get down there but I cant get back up. Lol

Fortunately for me @ 73 1/2 years young my up and down suspension is still very good. A strong back and weak mind is my nemisis along with a wacky sense of humor. Still Thunderbird Crazy after all these years. LOL

Gord

Back