1967 thunderbird rear end information

S

Skidloader10

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, i have a 1967 thunderbird. It originally had a 428 engine. Is the the rear end a 9.00 inch or a 9.375 inch rear end? would this be a 31 spline rear ? Would it fit any other ford vehicles?.

Thank you for your time

Get under the car and look for the axle code. That's how you tell. There should be a tag on the axle or casting numbers on it. Also another way to tell if its a 9" rear is on the bottom bolts under the pinion. If you cannot put a socket on it, its a 9". A 9" rear looks exactly like a 9 3/8. That's because you can put a 9" ring gear in a 9 3/8, but you cant put a 9 3/8 unless you notch the case for ring gear clearance. Also you can tell by looking at the carrier housing. If the one rib going across the top is bent at one end then its most likely a 9/38.

One last note... I am not even sure if the 67 Tbird came with the 9 3/8 rear. Mainly since the motor is completely different than the 429 they put into later cars.

Thank you for the information. I have pulled the rear end out or the car and i will look tomorrow. I am going to part out the car as its pretty crusty, its a shame that it was let go. If you happen to know anyonee looking for parts please let me know. It is a 4 door. Thanks again

Get under the car and look for the axle code. That's how you tell. There should be a tag on the axle or casting numbers on it. Also another way to tell if its a 9" rear is on the bottom bolts under the pinion. If you cannot put a socket on it, its a 9". A 9" rear looks exactly like a 9 3/8. That's because you can put a 9" ring gear in a 9 3/8, but you cant put a 9 3/8 unless you notch the case for ring gear clearance. Also you can tell by looking at the carrier housing. If the one rib going across the top is bent at one end then its most likely a 9/38.

One last note... I am not even sure if the 67 Tbird came with the 9 3/8 rear. Mainly since the motor is completely different than the 429 they put into later cars.

I did go look at the rear endthis morning.It does have the curverd rib at the top of the housing, so it looks like i have a 9.375. Thank you forall your help.

Skidloader10:
Can you please email me at yorgiki@********* to discuss parts from your car?
Thanks,
Gbird67

I did go look at the rear endthis morning.It does have the curverd rib at the top of the housing, so it looks like i have a 9.375. Thank you forall your help.
Great news! Though just a note that parts for a 9 3/8 are almost impossible to find. Fortunately if anything were to go wrong (which I doubt since those ring gears are pretty beefy pieces of equipment) you can just swap it out for a 9" ring and pinion and go on about your merry way.

IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0270.JPG IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0274.JPG
Since it is a 9 3/8 then yes its 31 spline axles and also its a limited slip differential as well. Oh and the carrier housing is made of nodular iron too.

Wow,thats great!!. Are you sure that it is a limited slip rear? I did turn the one drum a bit and the other side did not move?

Wow,thats great!!. Are you sure that it is a limited slip rear? I did turn the one drum a bit and the other side did not move?
They are limited slip rears. It could be that the clutch pack is worn out and the clutches are slipping. That’s pretty common on a 50 year old rear end. Once the clutches fail and slip you pretty much just have a open differential.

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird1967specifications.html
Check the axle codes on your rear or the door jamb I’d tag. Some 67s were just open differentials and some were limited slip.

Last edited:
Back