Oil smells like gas! 1964 Ford Thunderbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was checking my fluids today and my oil smelled like gas and looked more liquid than usual. What’s the problem and how do I fix it?

Sounds like carb is dumping too much gas into the intake. If it’s a new carb, might be too large. Otherwise, could be stuck float valve, a carb rebuild or replacement would be in order. Either way change the oil.

Mechanical fuel pump? My 55 was dumping it in the oil from there.
Rebuild kit was about the same price as new fuel pump.

Great point! The fuel pump on the 64 is mechanical and not expensive, easy to replace, probably good to just do that. It has an integral fuel filter. Also put in an inline fuel filter between the pump and carb while you’re at it, might prevent future carb issues, Holley carbs are finicky. Carb itself may still be the culprit. What carb are you running, Tbird64?

Last edited:
It sounds like a fuel pump to me. I would think that if the carb was dumping that much fuel the engine might be showing signs of running rich. On the other hand, if the diaphragm was leaking in the fuel pump, it would leak right into the oil system. You could check the fuel pressure but the slight leak might not affect the pressure. I would check and see how over full the oil level is and then change the oil. The pump would be my repair of choice.

Rod

I’m running a 600 CFM Holley street warrior and I replaced the fuel pump before this and there wasn’t any gas in the oil but when I upgraded the carb I noticed the gas also what’s the best oil to use?

I’ve been running Mobil 15w-50 full synthetic in mine because it’s an older motor. Synthetic give the best friction protection and more horse power than regular oil.

600 cfm carb is not too big. But if fuel pump is OK and gas is getting in the oil, there could well be a stuck float or power valve or maybe someone put in oversized main jets. But like Rob said above, if running too rich you should see signs of smoke in the exhaust.

BTW I ran a Road Demon carb on another Ford I have and I noticed at one point the oil smelled like gas. It was running way rich but not smoking noticeably. I swapped in a new Holley, the car ran better, had more power, oil is fine now 3 years later.

I was checking my fluids today and my oil smelled like gas and looked more liquid than usual. What’s the problem and how do I fix it?
Hi TBird64, just wondering if you were able to resolve this problem?

Doug

You can have a bad seal in the fuel pump. Where the arm goes into the block. If you haven't checked it that is where I would start. Cheap fix but very costly if overlooked

I’ve been running Mobil 15w-50 full synthetic in mine because it’s an older motor. Synthetic give the best friction protection and more horse power than regular oil.

600 cfm carb is not too big. But if fuel pump is OK and gas is getting in the oil, there could well be a stuck float or power valve or maybe someone put in oversized main jets. But like Rob said above, if running too rich you should see signs of smoke in the exhaust.
Not only that but the nose is a very important part of diagnosis. The exhaust if the engine is running properly should have almost no smell at all.

Back