No Reverse Lights on a '74

zacek
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey all.

I just bought a 1974 T-Bird with the 460 and C6 in it. I've been doing a little bit of work to it, and have been trying to fix my reverse light, I put a new fuse in as well as no bulbs and it's appearing that I have no current to the sockets. I haven't torn it apart to check the wiring just yet, but I was wondering what else could cause this problem, just doing some research told me that it's activated off the neutral safety switch, and I can't find any concrete answers as to whether or not it does, or where the switch is. I'm hoping somebody could help shed some light on this and help get my lights working!

Thanks for your help guys,

-Matt

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If not sure, contact a Ford Dealership & hope they can help.---Bob Riley

Not sure how much help a Ford dealership would be for a 74. As a start, I would use a test light at the bulb connector and look for 12 volts when the car is placed in reverse. If not there, you need the wiring diagrams to trace the problem backwards to the source.
Regards,
G

If not sure, contact a Ford Dealership & hope they can help.---Bob Riley
No Ford dealership going to help you with a 1974 Tbird. That's just nonsense to even suggest that. Netural safety switch I would guess is in the column since its a column shifter. That's your first place to look. Also are the sockets where the bulbs go corroded? Wires going in corroded? Check them. Any corrosion will not make them come on as well. The contacts could be rusted out. How is the condition of the car itself? If its pretty beat up or rusted you need to look around and see if the wires are bad too.

https://www.faxonautoliterature.com...d-Foldout-Wiring-Diagram-Original-P25106.aspx
Found this doing a google search. It should help you find what you are looking for.

Hey guys,

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been incredibly busy with classes starting for me.

The car itself is in fantastic shape, I don't think I have to worry about any hiccups in the wiring, but I haven't gotten a chance to test the voltage on the reverse light sockets, I will definitely try to do that ASAP, hopefully it's just a bad ground or something and I don't have to rewire the entire thing.

Once again, thanks for your help guys and I'll update as soon as I can.

-Matt

Definitely check for power at the neutral safety connector at the lower steering column, it may be loose or the switch may need to be replaced. The switch will also have vacuum lines attached for your auto park brake release.

Back