How to: Electric Choke Conversion - 1965 w/ Holley

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello - first day on the forum. I have a 1965 Thunderbird with a 390. I was advised to purchase a Holley street warrior 600 carburetor (https://amzn.to/2u48kYu) and did so.

My question is, for a complete novice, what conversion kit exists for this car with this carburetor - to go from my manual choke carburetor to this electric choke carburetor? Certainly if there are any hints or kits, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello - first day on the forum. I have a 1965 Thunderbird with a 390. I was advised to purchase a Holley street warrior 600 carburetor (https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/classic_holley/parts/0-80457S) and did so.

My question is, for a complete novice, what conversion kit exists for this car with this carburetor - to go from my manual choke carburetor to this electric choke carburetor? Certainly if there are any hints or kits, please let me know.
Hi;
Very simple to do. In my neck of the woods there is a so-cal speed shop. You will need to find a simular type of facility if you dont want to search on line for thr the kit. You need to purchase the electric choke housing / or spring assembly, around $50.00 if memory serves me well. Most kit come with all you need but some extra small wire may be needed for the power side. The ground is usually connected to a carb screw on the housing assembly (NOT the float bowl screws) and the power wire should go the the "s" terminal on the backside of the alternator and directly is best. "S" Terminal only will produce a battery voltage when engine is running. Most other supply voltages will warm -up or power up the choke with the key in the on position and defeats the purpose of having electric choke if you sit with your key "on" before starting. The (+) side of the coil is, (in my opinion) is almost always a no-no. YES, it will work but it will affect how the ignition works for those who know what to look for.

Hi AS8CG. Would be very interested to hear how the holley street warrior 600 carb with vacuum secondaries is working out for you. Do you think 600 cfm was a good choice for your 390?

Hello - first day on the forum. I have a 1965 Thunderbird with a 390. I was advised to purchase a Holley street warrior 600 carburetor (https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/classic_holley/parts/0-80457S) and did so.

easiest way is to run wire from plus side of choke to a keyed hot wire in engine bay such as plus side of coil. cut fuel line going to carb and add a piece of hose to fuel line with clamps and attach to carb. i have done several over the years with no problem.

Back