2002 T-Bird Strut replacement

Bluebird2
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just checking to see if strut replacement (front and rear) is a difficult job. I am pretty good with most basic car repairs but thought I would check what is involved before purchasing the parts.

Also, what front-end items are typical wear parts that should be checked and replaced for a like new ride?

As always, thanks for everybody's help!
Roger

Just checking to see if strut replacement (front and rear) is a difficult job. I am pretty good with most basic car repairs but thought I would check what is involved before purchasing the parts.

Also, what front-end items are typical wear parts that should be checked and replaced for a like new ride?

As always, thanks for everybody's help!
Roger
Roger. I think you would be amazed on how may diy tbird projects are on youtube. I use it quite a bit for my tbird and classic kik ass 66 gto. Additionally i have a buddy that we share the burden and sometimes pain of doing these repairs together. Right tools, right people and we get the right results. God bless. I live my 2002 tbird and my gto. Good luck ! Phil.

I've done this. It's a shock system so you'll need to remove the springs from the shocks. They are big springs and almost impossible to do at home - even with the proper rental tool. But usually for a nominal price a shop will remove and reinstall the spring on the shock for you on their professional machine. Doing the rest of the work is pretty easy if you have done similar things before. Good luck.

I've done this. It's a shock system so you'll need to remove the springs from the shocks. They are big springs and almost impossible to do at home - even with the proper rental tool. But usually for a nominal price a shop will remove and reinstall the spring on the shock for you on their professional machine. Doing the rest of the work is pretty easy if you have done similar things before. Good luck.
That's what I was afraid of but doesnt sound too bad with the help of a shop to asssit with the spring.
Thanks

Bluebird2, You should check out your ball joints, upper and lower, stabilizer links, and tie rods. AS for me, I am also pretty good with repairs but I leave suspension work to the pros. Pros have all the tools necessary, and besides after all is said and done a good 4-wheel alignment is in order.

Thanks for your reply. Great info. Will try the tie rods but may leave the heavy work to the pros.

Yes,, I bought my own,, you’ll need one for large coils,, and if I were you, I’d replace the top bushing mounts with 4 bolts.. I did.

Last spring I went ahead and replaced everything, front upper control arm, steering knuckle, lower control arm, sway bar
link, steering link, and struts. Decided to do everything all at one time, and be done with it. Also did the rear, upper
control arm, lower control arm, sway bar link, and rear alignment link, along with struts. All the ball joint boots, as
well as the fluid bushings were in bad shape.

For the strut replacement I used a hydraulic press to compress the springs, and remove the shock, did the same in
reverse to install new shock. The press made it easy, and quick. Tried the spring compressors, were slow, and tore
up the plastic coating on the springs.

My 2002 drives so smooth, and quiet, like a new car. Before suspension squeaked, and knocked over bumps.

I strongly recommend the hydraulic press. Borrow one, or pay a shop to change them for you.

Yes,, I bought my own,, you’ll need one for large coils,, and if I were you, I’d replace the top bushing mounts with 4 bolts.. I did.
Thanks
Last spring I went ahead and replaced everything, front upper control arm, steering knuckle, lower control arm, sway bar
link, steering link, and struts. Decided to do everything all at one time, and be done with it. Also did the rear, upper
control arm, lower control arm, sway bar link, and rear alignment link, along with struts. All the ball joint boots, as
well as the fluid bushings were in bad shape.

For the strut replacement I used a hydraulic press to compress the springs, and remove the shock, did the same in
reverse to install new shock. The press made it easy, and quick. Tried the spring compressors, were slow, and tore
up the plastic coating on the springs.

My 2002 drives so smooth, and quiet, like a new car. Before suspension squeaked, and knocked over bumps.

I strongly recommend the hydraulic press. Borrow one, or pay a shop to change them for you.
Or I could just buy the whole assembly instead of just the struts, and not worry about taking the spring off. It is more expensive. I wonder if a lower quality whole strut assembly will bring the same performance as keeping the old spring but putting a new KYB shock.
I have always been told that springs don't really loose their performance over time, unless they brake. No idea how true that is.

Well, I wanted a slight drop ( 13/4”) so I went with new coil springs, and KYB shock. It’s a little stiffer than stock, but handles like it’s on rails...

Back