1966 bird. edelbrock or holly carb?

Spider

Spider

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need help. My friends are split on which is the better carb. Most of them do not have tbirds. Would appreciate other opinions on this. Thanks Spider

Spider, let me know which one you select, because I am right behind you. My 64 still has the orginal carburetor but before I rebuild it, I want to have either the Holley or Eldebrock on it. Thanks Dan (Forest Hill, Md)

Seems to me there are two spacers. I think one is like 5/8" and the other is one inch if I'm not mistaken. I have an Edelbrock 600 carb and an Edelbrock manifold, electric choke and Edelbrock air cleaner. I had a terrible time when the car was hot; hard to start, then it tried to stall, serious gas smell. I called Edelbrock and their first reaction was, "You don't have a spacer?" I got the smaller spacer and it was a whopping improvement, but on hot days I still get it some. I'd like to find out if the larger one fits, if so I'd like to get one.

I need help. My friends are split on which is the better carb. Most of them do not have tbirds. Would appreciate other opinions on this. Thanks Spider
I’ll throw another option into the discussion; FiTech fuel injection. It’s a bolt on operation, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the performance and fuel economy improvements. I put on on my ‘55.

I've heard of these before but the price was prohibitive. I guess it's coming down. Is there a bolt-on kit, and if so, how much?

Hi all. My '64 TBird has a 600 cfm vacuum secondary Holley. I've got it working pretty well now after rebuilding it - pretty well, not perfect - but back when I was thinking of buying a new carb I talked to a tech rep at Holley and he recommended a 570 cfm carb. He said that the 390 at 4500 rpm draws 490 cfm of air so a carb larger than 570 cfm is too large. BUT, my neighbor who is an old time hot rodder gear head says I should go with a 670 cfm car, that it will work and I'll be glad I did. So there you have it, more input.

Also, my car has the original water flow spacer designed as I understand to heat combustion air for those living in frigid climates. I've read what I can find on this and consensus seems to be that I should stick a spacer for performance reasons and that this particular water heated type won't compromise performance.

I think throttle body injection is a good idea. I have another car with a chevy 350 with TBI and it starts, idles, and you can drive it immediately. Maybe some day, but for now quite expensive and the carb I have works OK.

Hi, I just installed an Holley Street Avenger 670 cfm yesterday and boys what a hell of a difference! I have a Q code 428 ci and th original carb was Autolite which is 480 cfm if I don't mistake. I never been able to get the tranny shift at 4600 rpm and my engine rev it this afternoon. I had to calm myself! Next step will be Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake #7105 or Blue Thunder FE Intake. MSD A6 box and distributor. New 3.50 axle gear, mild cam and maybe Sanderson Headers FF394-SEC specially made for T Birds (390 or 428ci). Actually, my rear tires height are 29 inches, it's gonna help the engine with the 3.50 gear. Don't be shy to go with a 650, 670 and even a 770 cfm if you are planning to update your engine. Good luck!

Hi Rej.E, can't wait to hear more about this. By the way, I've heard that the 428 is basically a stroked 390. Would that be your understanding as well? Anyway, I think you're going to need really good brakes on that car...

Doug

Hi, I just installed an Holley Street Avenger 670 cfm yesterday and boys what a hell of a difference! I have a Q code 428 ci and th original carb was Autolite which is 480 cfm if I don't mistake. I never been able to get the tranny shift at 4600 rpm and my engine rev it this afternoon. I had to calm myself! Next step will be Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake #7105 or Blue Thunder FE Intake. MSD A6 box and distributor. New 3.50 axle gear, mild cam and maybe Sanderson Headers FF394-SEC specially made for T Birds (390 or 428ci). Actually, my rear tires height are 29 inches, it's gonna help the engine with the 3.50 gear. Don't be shy to go with a 650, 670 and even a 770 cfm if you are planning to update your engine. Good luck!

I installed a Holley 670 CFM back in 2002 and I can attest to your delight at the performance difference with my 390....WOW it's still running great and many of my friends with 390's were amazed at how much faster my car is than theirs. The old Ford Autolight 4100 (a Holley built for Ford) was no match. I tried an Edelbrock but the car wouldn't run well, I took it back and swaped it out for the Holley. A better fit in my humble opinion.

I also found out that I have better fuel mileage but only if I can keep my foot out of it!

Hey guys, these are double pumpers, not vacuum actuated secondaries, right?

2 questions on 64 T-Bird. 1) Did you use the original Intake manifold when swapping for 670 double pumper? 2) Did you have to use a spacer, (Which thickness if so) when putting on the Holley 670? THANKS A BUNCH, and Happy New Year!! Dan(Forest Hill, Md.)

Back