Wet Carpet 2005

Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Can't see any leaks from the top but the drivers side carpet is getting wet. Even when parked with the car cover on. Any ideas?

Ronaldo,

I have a 2002. When I park with the car pointing slightly down hill, water fills up in the channel between the hardtop and the windshield. Water dumps into the interior when I go around a corner. Not sure if this applies with a car cover though unless the water is leaking through? You might try laying a plastic garbage bag under the cover around the windshield/top area just to test.

Ronaldo,

From the way mine acts, I’m guessing that the water runs down between the chrome windshield bezel and the gap to the hardtop. There must be a channel in there where the water collects. I’ve owned my car since 2005 but never had the hardtop off. It sits outside all the time and fortunately, my driveway has a slight upslope so unless I back the car in its never a problem.

Check the bottom cover that runs along the bottom edge of the outside of the windshield, this has to be removed to change the cabin filter and may not have been replaced correctly, I realized this when I first changed mine, you remove it to gain access and there is the bottom of the glass and could easily not be put back correctly. Worth checking.

Thanks Phil. I have started to remove that cover. Broke most of the retainers-no big deal. Got the cabin filter out by just bending cover in that spot. Looks like I'll have to remove the wiper arms to get the cover off completely. I think I might have some debris on the drivers side somewhere that is blocking drainage. Have the carpet lifted up, another project and it's dripping wet. I have to fix whatever it is. Thanks for steering me...

Ronaldo,

A Wet-&-Dry shop vac works good to draw the water out and then draw air through the carpet to help dry it. My 54 Corvette leaks like a sieve and that’s what I use.

Thanks Phil. I have started to remove that cover. Broke most of the retainers-no big deal. Got the cabin filter out by just bending cover in that spot. Looks like I'll have to remove the wiper arms to get the cover off completely. I think I might have some debris on the drivers side somewhere that is blocking drainage. Have the carpet lifted up, another project and it's dripping wet. I have to fix whatever it is. Thanks for steering me...
Check the bottom cover that runs along the bottom edge of the outside of the windshield, this has to be removed to change the cabin filter and may not have been replaced correctly, I realized this when I first changed mine, you remove it to gain access and there is the bottom of the glass and could easily not be put back correctly. Worth checking.
Cowling is off. Windshield drains into the cowling then flows to the drivers side windshield washer pivot and down a drain. My drain was completely plugged with debris so wasn't draining out to the underside of the car but overflowing somehow into the cabin. That's gotta be it. Will put back together when the clips come in.

Wow I'm so glad that steered you in the right direction, it was only a thought and I didn't know if it would result in anything.

Hello,

Anyone have a diagram as to where the drain holes are located?

Thanks!

Jack

2005 Ford Thunderbird

The clips that hold the lower windshield plastic cover are easily removed by first pushing in on the little piece in the center of each clip, this releases the pressure of the clip & the this center part should come up slightly allowing you then to pull the entire clip out of the hole. Be gentle because the clip is probably brittle from engine heat & it is of thin plastic.

Once you have the entire lower windshield plastic trim removed, you will also have to remove the windshield wipers you will easily see the drain hole, there are two one in each corner.

ALSO Here is some GOOD to KNOW info. There is a Ford article # 04-9-5 that updates TSB(Technical Service Bulletin) #02-21-14. The title of this article is Body-Water Leak-Removable Top & Convertible. Google this TSB number you will get the complete PDF file. It is full of info on this water leak problem. You can stop the water from getting into the car.

I think this is the TSB that Blue is talking about.

I posted this before I looked at it. It is rather detailed. Thanks Blue for finding this.

Attachments

• Ford Thunderbird top tsb.pdf
    545.5 KB · Views: 17
Yes Gus that is the very same one. Yes it is very detailed but taken one step at a time with the HT off the car it all becomes very clear and Yes it does stop the water run off by diverting it correctly.

Thanks to all! I just removed my lower windshield cover and replaced my cabin filter. The drain holes on both sides were totally blocked with leaves. I put a small hose onto my vacuum to clean it.

The carpet behind my passenger seat was always getting wet! With the top partially open I was just able to see the rear drains through the convertible top frame. The drain on the passenger side was totally clogged. With the small hose attached to the vacuum I was able to vacuum out the drain. I’m guessing they were never cleaned! Now the car is dry inside.

With your post, I did mine as well! Just finished, the rears were totally covered/plugged. I did the passenger front, but couldn't access the driver side(radiator fluid tank in the way), it looked pretty clean around and under - I checked from underneath, I saw up through the open section(similar to the passenger side), so I think it's okay.

Thanks for the description of opening the top part way, I was able to see the hole. I did both of my cars.

Jack

Thanks to all! I just removed my lower windshield cover and replaced my cabin filter. The drain holes on both sides were totally blocked with leaves. I put a small hose onto my vacuum to clean it.

The carpet behind my passenger seat was always getting wet! With the top partially open I was just able to see the rear drains through the convertible top frame. The drain on the passenger side was totally clogged. With the small hose attached to the vacuum I was able to vacuum out the drain. I’m guessing they were never cleaned! Now the car is dry inside.

You can access the rear drains easier I found with the top up. Un snap the well liner behind the seats, push the material to the side and you can see the drains, they look like two inch plugs

2004 convertible - passenger side mat gets wet near seat while sitting after a rain. Convertible top
Is not damp/wet inside. Cannot determine where water is entering.

2004 convertible - passenger side mat gets wet near seat while sitting after a rain. Convertible top
Is not damp/wet inside. Cannot determine where water is entering.
When you posted you will note it said the subject is a "SHORT SUMMARY" of what your post is about. Your subject "2004 convertible - passenger side mat gets wet while sitting after rain. However, convertible top is not damp - cannot determine what issue is" is obviously not a short summary and all these cars are convertibles, so that isn't even necessary information.

Your post has been merged with a previous topic that covers this. Check out the search page for commonly asked questionsmodel-year.jpg

Any water that manages to get between the roof and the A-pillar will likely fall directly onto the mat without collecting or spreading on the convertible roof itself. I suspect you have a small gap that is allowing water to get in, not necessarily a flaw in the convertible top. Could be something as simple as old weatherstripping.

Any water that manages to get between the roof and the A-pillar will likely fall directly onto the mat without collecting or spreading on the convertible roof itself. I suspect you have a small gap that is allowing water to get in, not necessarily a flaw in the convertible top. Could be something as simple as old weatherstripping.
Or plugged drains. There are several posts up this thread that describe how to check. The usual complaint is wet floor mats. If the car has been parked for a long time where leaves are common it's worth checking.

Back