'57 Adding an in-line electric fuel pump

dickday0

dickday0

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The '57 runs fantastic now. My only problem is that if the car sits for more than a week, the fuel must either evaporate or somehow run back out of the bowl. I have to crank multiple times before it will finally start. Once it starts, it runs great.

I read an article that suggests adding a 12-volt in-line electric fuel pump close to the tank with the switch located by the driver. The pump that was suggested allows pass-through even when it's turned off. The pump that was suggested is from Car Quest... https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-electric-fuel-pump-e8016s/5773407-P

The reviews were not kind to this particular unit. Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions for a different pump?

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I looked the pump up and the reviews were not all than kind. That's why I asked if anyone had done this using a different pump.

The car runs fantastic once it starts. I just need to get fuel up to the carb if it's been sitting for a week or more, which is typically how it is being used.

Thanks!

I do not have an electric fuel pump on my car and I used to have the same problem that you had until I started using 100% gasoline. The fuel costs more, but since there isn't any ethanol in the fuel it doesn't evaporate like the fuels that have ethanol in them. Here is a link to see where you can buy 100% gasoline in your state: https://www.pure-gas.org

Doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Yes they do and I cannot wait until the next meeting. Shortly after buying the '57, my health changed and I am just now in a position to travel. I am especially anxious to take part in a cruise, I think that would be a blast. There are two get-togethers scheduled for this part of Nebraska, both on May 20th in Omaha and Lincoln.

Once you install the electric fuel pump, you only want it working when required not all the time. Wire it to the “I” terminal of the ignition switch and then through the on/off switch, that way it will only be on while the engine is running and you can turn it off if you want to. I wired one through the oil pressure switch with a relay, that way if the engine dies in case of accident once oil pressure is lost the pump will shut off.

Doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I like your idea of wiring it to the oil pressure switch. I only plan on turning it on for a second or two before starting and then flip it off. But if I forget to turn it off, I'm sure first responders would like to know it's not running :)

Just curious, if power to the pump is dependent upon oil pressure, how can it be used to prime the engine before starting?

I am going to have them install a push button switch under the dash that will also send power to the pump. I can run the pump manually for a few seconds to print the engine.

Just curious, if power to the pump is dependent upon oil pressure, how can it be used to prime the engine before starting?

By turning the electric fuel pump on/off switch to the on position and cranking the engine. It only takes a second of engine cranking before the oil pressure builds and the oil pressure switch closes.

Doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

To be safe, the switch they are using is a momentary switch so I cannot forget to turn it off.

I have the 12-volt fuel pump mounted back at the fuel tank. My starting problems are solved :)

I only need to push the button a second or two and it starts right up. I now see that the mechanical fuel pump, at the block, is leaking. The 12-volt pump kit came with an on/off switch, I replaced that with a momentary switch.

The 12-volt pump is such a low pressure pump, I cannot imagine that it is too much pressure. I am hoping that a new set of gaskets will fix the problem.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks

It looks like the gasket that separates the top from the bottom. I cannot see where it attaches to the block, so no idea if it leaks there or not.
leak.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the gasket that separates the top from the bottom. I cannot see where it attaches to the block, so no idea if it leaks there or not.
There are two bolts that attach the pump to the block. If it leaked at there it would be oil. You may be better off replacing the pump if it is more than 5 or 10 years old due to the seals are not compatible with the ethanol in the gas.

Ok, thank you. Is the fuel pump easier to replace if it's up on a lift? Looking down, I am not sure how I would get to it.

Ok, thank you. Is the fuel pump easier to replace if it's up on a lift? Looking down, I am not sure how I would get to it.
I did mine working over the fender, it may help some on a lift. The cross member is directly below so that may be an issue. You can see the bolts from the top side. The pump arm rides on a cam inside the motor so you may have to bump the motor to get the arm off of the cam going back on. About $100.00 from CASCO

I've replaced fuel pumps on small engines, but never a car. When you replaced yours from the top, did you remove the power steering support bracket? I can see the pump but just getting my hand down to it is a challenge.

I've looked for videos that show the replacement but so far, no luck.

Thanks

Looking at your picture, it looks like the area above the arrows is wet with fuel and not at the diaphragm between the upper and lower sections of the fuel pump as you suggested.

“If you own an Early Thunderbird 1955/56/57, sooner or later you will experience oil or fuel or both leaking from the vent holes in the center body of the pump. If the leak through the vent holes is fuel the lower pump diaphragm is split allowing fuel to seep to the top of the diaphragm and exit through the vent holes”.

If you remove the left front wheel you will be able to see the fuel pump mounting bolts through the frame. I replaced my fuel pump 3 years ago and had no problem working over the fender and through the frame.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back