Consumer Reports October 1955 Chevrolet Corvette vs. Ford Thunderbird

tbird

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was able to obtain a copy of the October 1955 Consumer reports magazine from eBAY that featured a review on the Chevrolet Corvette vs. the Ford Thunderbird. Very interesting, nobody at the time of this writing knew these two cars would end up being iconic! You can download a printable PDF file below if you are logged in, or at the bottom of the page in attachments. Let us know your thoughts!

You can buy copies on eBAY when they are available here- https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1955+consumer+reports+thunderbird

ConsumerReports1955-Cover.jpg ConsumerReports1955-page455.jpg ConsumerReports1955-page456.jpg ConsumerReports1955-page457.jpg ConsumerReports1955-page458.jpg

Here is a great video about the Thunderbird vs. Corvette-

Attachments

• October1955-ConsumerReports-PRINTABLE.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Thanks for the interesting read. Had Chevy used the then new ball joint suspension on the 55 corvette, I'd bet the ride and handling would have been way better. Still, after 60+ odd years, the T-bird still gets my vote.

Great article, the two cars were closer in performance and handling than I would have believed.

Thanks for sharing. While a few negatives were noted, the enjoyment I get from my 55 Bird overcomes them - Thanks

Thanks for sharing. While a few negatives were noted, the enjoyment I get from my 55 Bird overcomes them - Thanks
What negatives stood out to you and do you agree with them?

Very interesting article. I also appreciated that CU included some info on the Jaguar and Porsche.

Not only did they test the automatic to automatic, they did not allow for manual shifting.
Isn't the 55 TBird automatic a 3 speed when shifted?
Might not the manual also prove to be an advantage?
Sure, the T-Bird is heavier, but it also had/has roll up windows, which was also an added cost.
Remember, the consumer voted in favor the the Ford, out-selling the vette.

the fordomatic must be selected to low to take advantage of the low gear otherwise it starts out in 2nd.
they were two different cars, the vette was a true sports car.

Back