Largest tires 2004 Thunderbird

R

RICHARD SCARBROUGH

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
What is the largest tire that can be put on a 2004, as I want wide whitewalls from diamondback tires, does anyone have any idea? Thanks Richard in Memphis

Hi Richard,
If it's any help, we just put a set of Coker American Classic White Walls in our 2002 Tbird, the size we got is: P235/55R/17 with a 1.75 inch wide whitewall. This size is slightly different than the stock tires, of P235/50ZR/17 that came off of the car, but we were told it would be fine, and they actually are, even think the ride is a bit better. I did extensive research on whitewalls before we bought them, including talking to Diamondback. Spoke to them twice, the first time they said that they could make the tires with a 2 inch wide whitewall, but when I called back to place the order, I was told they could no longer make them, not sure which info is accurate. Our preference was for a wider whitewall more like the 2 inch wide that Diamondback said they could do. We ended up going with the Cokers, even though the white wall width was 1.75 inches wide, but we're just as happy with them, paid $295 per tire, free shipping, no tax, however they were backordered at the time and we waited 5 weeks for them. There are also BF Goodrich Silvertowns with a 1.5 inch wide whitewall, these are available in P225/55R/17, I was told this is also an acceptable size for the car, these run about $20 less per tire than the Cokers. Hope this info is helpful, they look amazing and we're very happy with our purchase, feel free to look at the pictures of the car with the whitewalls on my profile.
Good luck!
Best,
Marianne

Using wheels from Jaguar S-Type R, my car has front 245/45-18 and rear 275/40-18 with no clearance issues. Jaguar S-Type wheels have correct 60 offset to maintain suspension geometry. Tire diameter matches standard Thunderbird.

Hi Richard,
If it's any help, we just put a set of Coker American Classic White Walls in our 2002 Tbird, the size we got is: P235/55R/17 with a 1.75 inch wide whitewall. This size is slightly different than the stock tires, of P235/50ZR/17 that came off of the car, but we were told it would be fine, and they actually are, even think the ride is a bit better. I did extensive research on whitewalls before we bought them, including talking to Diamondback. Spoke to them twice, the first time they said that they could make the tires with a 2 inch wide whitewall, but when I called back to place the order, I was told they could no longer make them, not sure which info is accurate. Our preference was for a wider whitewall more like the 2 inch wide that Diamondback said they could do. We ended up going with the Cokers, even though the white wall width was 1.75 inches wide, but we're just as happy with them, paid $295 per tire, free shipping, no tax, however they were backordered at the time and we waited 5 weeks for them. There are also BF Goodrich Silvertowns with a 1.5 inch wide whitewall, these are available in P225/55R/17, I was told this is also an acceptable size for the car, these run about $20 less per tire than the Cokers. Hope this info is helpful, they look amazing and we're very happy with our purchase, feel free to look at the pictures of the car with the whitewalls on my profile.
Good luck!
Best,
Marianne

Thanks very much for posting your story about finding whitewall tires. They are expensive but they sure look good! I may put them on my 50th Anniversary Bird!

I have a set of whitewalls on my 03. One thing I was told is to keep the tires inflated to 38 lbs because it helps stabilize the white wall portion of your tire. It rides a little more stiff but the pay off is good in that the whitewalls last longer. I believe my tires are made by Toyo.

I have a set of whitewalls on my 03. One thing I was told is to keep the tires inflated to 38 lbs because it helps stabilize the white wall portion of your tire. It rides a little more stiff but the pay off is good in that the whitewalls last longer. I believe my tires are made by Toyo.

I just put a set of new 245/50s on my 04 and they are about 1/4 to 3/8 ths larger in both height and width than my old factory 235/50s. They fill out the wheel wells a little better without looking "gangsta" and with a little more rubber on the ground - they ride a little better too. And no clearance issues at all.

I just put a set of new 245/50s on my 04 and they are about 1/4 to 3/8 ths larger in both height and width than my old factory 235/50s. They fill out the wheel wells a little better without looking "gangsta" and with a little more rubber on the ground - they ride a little better too. And no clearance issues at all.
What tire did you mount on the bird?

I've had the Diamondback P235/55R/17" whitewalls (2") for about seven years now. They look great and have worn well and provide a nice ride. I would highly recommend them.

Back