Replacing my AOD transmission in my 97 LX.

Crzywyte90
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey guys. What am I up against doing this in the garage without a lift? Impossible? Not recommended? Or just a pain? My transmission needs to come out, and there is a new one already built well and j-modded by monster transmissions. Am I getting into a disaster trying to replace the transmission without it being up on a lift? Let me know!

In my younger days I use to jack the car up high enough to slide the transmission user on a floor jack. I would put cement blocks under the tires to keep the car stable. I put a 2 x 4 vertically in the block so the car wouldn’t roll. Then I made a plate to fit on the jack where the cup on the arm would be so I had a flat surface for the tranny to sit. I welded a small piece of pipe to the bottom of the plate to put in the hole of the arm to keep it from sliding off the jack. As I became older and smarter I bought a lift and borrow a friends tranny jack. Good luck Rick

Not a super hard job, drop the driveshaft, disconnect manifolds, dudes cinder block idea is great, when my tranny went out in my 92 sc auto, I ended up using a mustang v6 trans, think I had to swap tips of the driveshaft, but everytime It would shift from 1st to second it would chirp the tires, and it had alot more torque off the line as well

But I have the 4.6
Oooooo I loved my red v8, still pretty much the same setup tho, lil less room, to get the top trans bolts out but not overly complicated, friends green v8 had the trans go out and the manifold bolts were seized, so we just cut the exhaust off, swapped the trans for a used one, clamped the exhaust till we could get it to the muffler shop and just had them rewield them together

Hey guys. What am I up against doing this in the garage without a lift? Impossible? Not recommended? Or just a pain? My transmission needs to come out, and there is a new one already built well and j-modded by monster transmissions. Am I getting into a disaster trying to replace the transmission without it being up on a lift? Let me know!
Well buddy I joined this forum to see If I could find out any info out as Im in the process of removing my 4r70w trans out of my 97 Tbird [ no lift] and I ve R&R lots of trans, and its doable on jack stands but believe me when I say its no FNN joke Im a old guy but 40 yrs ago I owned my own auto repair buss. and after was GM factory trained and worked at a dealer ship for awhile. AND over the yrs Ive done my own repairs on cars heavy epuip. I owned. Hard to pay some one what u know u can. I was going to try and rebuild the trans. to bought all the parts and a shift kit to. But I changed my mind if The trans failed , I could not bear pullin it back out ID TAKE A MATCH TO IT. Next I ha ve to drop the gas tank about 6 in. to get the driveline out. By far its the hardest Ive ever done nightmare bolt locations all crammed together . I could keep going but my heads getting tight. GOOD LUCK BROTHER

Back