CoachCornell

CoachCornell

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All,
I have a question.
I installed the Hardtop on my 02.
I see a button for a rear window defroster.
But do not see a wire connection.
Am missing the connection?
Or do the guide/alignment pins actvas the electrical connection?
Please advise
Thank you

Hello All,
I have a question.
Please advise
Thank you
The wire connector on mine broke and it is impossible to find a new one. Ford stopped making the connector wire. I gave up looking for one. I have no defogger with top on

The wire connector on mine broke and it is impossible to find a new one. Ford stopped making the connector wire. I gave up looking for one. I have no defogger with top on
Dennis, I have the same situation, the connector looks like it should be circular and one-piece, but I have two pieces hanging by wire from the hardtop. I don't understand how or where it would connect anyway. The manual instructions on installing/removing the hardtop don't mention connecting anything??????? Would love to have it working if someone has ideas. 3d printer?

I t might just be a fuse or the switch that went bad. The defroster connection is done by the two pins that lock the back of the hardtop down. Good luck Rick
Rick, I cannot picture to two pins part. I do know that I have a broken piece hanging down from the hardtop, that has two wires....

I am not sure what they are if you can send me a picture maybe I can help you out..... Rick

Ok
I was thinking it was contact through the guide pins. But I couldn't confirm it.
I'll check the fuse and check for power.

Thank you, everyone for the help

But I still have the wires hanging down from the top. But I don't want to pull it off again (heavy!) until I know what to do.

I looked in the owners manual and do not see a listing for fuse for the rear window defroster. I checked all the fuses (3 fuse boxes) and only found 1 blown fuse.
(Pad switch) ( I didn't notice anythin that it controlled)

This car sat in my fathers garage for over a year. And the hard top hs been off since 2015.
So I'm hoping as I drive it more, things will start working.
IE) the mirrors, and some steering wheel controls aren't working. (the radio and the cruise)

OK. It is now winter in Maryland. My hardtop defroster is still not fixed. I need help.

Mine doesn't work either.
I checked all the fuses and that is as far as I got.
To busy with the holidays.
I'll get back to it after.

I did find out the contacts for the "power"
Comes through the twist lock pins. So next I'll check the seitch and then check for power at the pins

Oh too bad to hear about those issues on defroster. We will be working on a Thunderbird right after we finished installing the new tires and fox racing shox on the current Land Rover project. The owner of TB wants to have the defroster checked, not much cold problem here in GA but better to have it fixed.

I just put the top on for the winter and since there are no wires to connect I assumed that the connection is made thru the locking pins. How can the connection be checked to know that the defroster is working other than actually using it to defrost the window?

On the passenger side fitting that the roof pin goes into is a plate the matches up with another plate that is around the roof pin, that plate should have a wire on it that is from the defroster switch. The roof pin has the same plate that is wired to the window defroster. When the roof is in place those 2 plates go together and when you engage the lock for the roof it completes the circuit by grounding the defroster. If either one of those plates are missing or have fallen away so they don't touch the defroster won't work. Look down in the body of the car where the convertible roof retracts into to see if it might have fallen off and is laying down in the well. You might have to resolder the wire on it. Good Luck Rick

Last edited:
On the passenger side fitting that the roof pin goes into is a plate the matches up with another plate that is around the roof pin, that plate should have a wire on it that is from the defroster switch. The roof pin has the same plate that is wired to the window defroster. When the roof is in place those 2 plates go together and when you engage the lock for the roof it completes the circuit by grounding the defroster. If either one of those plates are missing or have fallen away so they don't touch the defroster won't work. Look down in the body of the car where the convertible roof retracts into to see if it might have fallen off and is laying down in the well. You might have to resolder the wire on it. Good Luck Rick
On mine, the roof "plate" is actually a circular, wired, washer-like thing. However, mine is in two partial pieces. Wonder If it is obtainable?

Hello All,
I have a question.
Please advise
Thank you
I cannot locate a new cable since they are no longer made. Ford has no clue.

Back