2003 the value of "search?"

vinnie

vinnie

Aways Learning
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So, my '03 arrive last Wednesday (8/23) with just one key and fob. Order 2 keys and 4 fobs via eBay after reading owner's manual on programming. Keys & Fobs arrive Tuesday 8/29. Go to dealer Wednesday 8/30 to cut two, program one key @ $135. One hour later in the garage with 3 keys, two programmed, to program third key and four fobs via manual instructions. All goes just as prescribed! UNBELIEVABLE! As one would expect, after testing all 3 keys, I move as far away as space permits to test 4 fobs. ALL is well! The fun part comes tomorrow.

It's Thursday, 8/31, and wife and I decide to go to a movie. It will be her first drive of the bird. As the car starts, the "drivers door ajar" icon is on and the drivers seat heater controls are flashing! I, as you might expect, blame wife since bird was operating PERFECTLY until she assumed command. After slamming all doors several times without success we departed for movieland icons flashing but car running fine. Return home without any change. I'm thinking . . . tomorrow I'll try battery reset, if that doesn't work, it will be the dreaded dealer visit.

It is now about 9pm when I think - why not try a forum search? I enter "door ajar icon won't reset." I think I got 5 hits, four of which were irrelevant. BUT, number 5 recounted a similar experience caused by, wait for it, TRUNK NOT CLOSED! I said to wife as we got into bed that we'll investigate that possibility in the A.M. Naturally, as I lay pondering the day's events, tomorrow wasn't coming soon enuf. I was retracing my steps in the calibration test process and thought - did I test the trunk button of the fobs? OF COURSE I DID!

I ran to the garage door, fob in hand, like a kid on Christmas morning to the tree. I turned on the light, and like that kid, I could hardly contain my joy as I could see a gap in the trunk side seam. It wasn't closed! Problem solved! I know you all have experienced the same anxiety as I when confronted with dreaded dealer visit possibility. I also know you can imagine my relief. THANK YOU SEARCH!

Love the story Vinnie.. Hope you enjoy your new Bird.. Mine came with two keys and one fab from the dealer I bought the car from.. I bought an aftermarket fab at an Auto Zone and programed it according to the directions.. Both fobs would open and close the doors and trunk lid with no problem, but the one I bought from Auto Zone would set off the horn alarm every so often after locking or unlocking the doors... No rime or reason or consistency... After reprograming both fabs about 4 or 5 times the one I bought from Auto Zone would still set off the alarm every so often.. I brought that one back thinking it was defective, and sure enough it was.. Auto Zone swapped that one out for an other (same brand and model).. I came home and reprogramed both fabs again and they are now working flawlessly... That was bout 6 months ago..

Enjoy your T-bird..

UPDATE - Owner's manual page 13 . . .
Door ajar: Illuminates when the ignition is in the ON position and any door or trunk is open. DUH!:rolleyes::D
I guess a trunk open icon/circuitry wasn't cost efficient?

Love the story Vinnie.. Hope you enjoy your new Bird.. Mine came with two keys and one fab from the dealer I bought the car from.. I bought an aftermarket fab at an Auto Zone and programed it according to the directions.. Both fobs would open and close the doors and trunk lid with no problem, but the one I bought from Auto Zone would set off the horn alarm every so often after locking or unlocking the doors... No rime or reason or consistency... After reprograming both fabs about 4 or 5 times the one I bought from Auto Zone would still set off the alarm every so often.. I brought that one back thinking it was defective, and sure enough it was.. Auto Zone swapped that one out for an other (same brand and model).. I came home and reprogramed both fabs again and they are now working flawlessly... That was bout 6 months ago..

Enjoy your T-bird..
BUY A THIRD KEY!!! have it cut then reprogram as per instructions when you have TWO keys that way if ever you lose a key you still have 2 and reprogram another without dealer cost except for price of key if you only have one key is when dealer MUST program it

BUY A THIRD KEY!!! have it cut then reprogram as per instructions when you have TWO keys that way if ever you lose a key you still have 2 and reprogram another without dealer cost except for price of key if you only have one key is when dealer MUST program it
I don't understand the logic of buy a third key now. Can you explain further? Thanks

I don't understand the logic of buy a third key now. Can you explain further? Thanks
if you have 3 and lose 1 you can still program a new one with two(dont have to pay dealer to program it)
if you have 2 keys and lose one then then with only 1 key to get a new key it has to be programmed by dealer(about$80+key )

I had High Tech Locksmiths do my key! It was cheaper than the dealer! http://htlkeys.com They also come to you!

Back