Accessing Fuel Sending Unit on a 65 Bird

MacasterJ
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My gas gauge never gets above three quarters even after I fill it up. I want to check the connections on the fuel sending unit and I have read that can be accessed through the trunk. There is no trunk liner in the car right now so I have access to the whole space. What do i need to remove in the trunk to get access to the fuel sending unit?

I don't know about the '65 Bird but on my '55 there is a cover in the trunk that is held in place with a screw. The wires for the sending unit also feed into that hole. I can remove the cover and get access to the fuel sending unit. Perhaps yours is similar?

My gas gauge never gets above three quarters even after I fill it up. I want to check the connections on the fuel sending unit and I have read that can be accessed through the trunk. There is no trunk liner in the car right now so I have access to the whole space. What do i need to remove in the trunk to get access to the fuel sending unit?

If you are reasonably adept and mechanically minded, you do not have to remove anything to get access to the sending unit. The gas tanks on the 64-66's have the sending unit mounted on the front of the tank, just above and behind the axle. You can jack the car up for more clearance/access, and check the wiring, plug, or remove/replace the sending unit from there. I recently replaced the sending unit on my 66 that way with no problem. Other than that, you could remove the back seat cushion, seat-back, and probably get access that way.

If you are reasonably adept and mechanically minded, you do not have to remove anything to get access to the sending unit. The gas tanks on the 64-66's have the sending unit mounted on the front of the tank, just above and behind the axle. You can jack the car up for more clearance/access, and check the wiring, plug, or remove/replace the sending unit from there. I recently replaced the sending unit on my 66 that way with no problem. Other than that, you could remove the back seat cushion, seat-back, and probably get access that way.
I just pulled the gas tank on my 1966 and there is no access panel on the 66 but he is correct it is easy to get to from below the car just be careful not to make sparks while performing this job

Back