1992 Thunderbird in great shape, but they want $12 K

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Last seen
Hi all,
I've been looking at a T-bird with 25K miles on it, but they want 12K for it. Seems pretty high, but it is in fantastic shape.

Query your views. It has a V8 engine, supposed to be an LX. (Everything I'm finding says the LX has a V6, but I'm guessing this was an upgraded engine?)

Thanks for your comments/info

Kim

That sounds a little High. I have a 1995 LX with 25000 miles on it, My guess it is worth 8000.00 at best. This car has been in car shows and this year it won in its year class. PS it has a V8 in it and the car is all original.

Tim

Yep, that's what I"m thinkin'. About 8 to 9K at the most. He says it has a custom factory paint job/interior selection (it's red with currant red interior with leather trim). Everything is original and you could eat off the engine, but still....

Forgot to ask: How tough is it to get parts? Will a repair shop struggle to find them??

(Another thread, perhaps, but...) I heard that Ford is discontinuing parts for the 2002-2005. That's just WRONG! Makes me wonder about getting Fords at all if that's the way they treat customers. Anyway, I am concerned about getting an older Ford like this if parts can be tough to get. Thanks!

The last Thunderbird hasn't been made in well over a decade, they only made about 68,000 of them in four years, so not surprising parts are not made. If it wasn't for the similarities with the Lincoln LS, it would be even more problematic.

As for the value of this 25 year old 1992 car, the KBB value of the car is about 2 grand in excellent shape with the V8 and low mileage, see attached PDF. If the odometer is correct, I would say the right buyer may be willing to pay 3-4 grand for the car.

If you look at completed auctions on ebay, a SC sold for 2 grand http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Ford-T...ash=item25dde5d5f5:g:in8AAOSwV~1ZlxJl&vxp=mtr another for 3 grand with lower miles http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Ford-T...ash=item2a8b923701:g:ayMAAOSw7htZniQG&vxp=mtr

The bottom line, the seller is asking way too much IMHO

Attachments

• 1992_Ford_Thunderbird2.pdf
    232.7 KB · Views: 0
The last Thunderbird hasn't been made in well over a decade, they only made about 68,000 of them in four years, so not surprising parts are not made.

As for the value of this 25 year old 1992 car....

Did Ford intentionally only make @ 69,000 of them or was it that poor of a seller?

If its intentional, and then they fail to support them, then that is just bad business practice. Sorry. I would never buy another T'bird for fear they would pull the same stunt.

If the series just didn't sell, then that is just sad. Someone's head likely rolled over that debacle.

I loved the style but never could afford one at the time, plus I had a family to think of. Now that I could get one, they decide to discontinue parts for it. Wow.

And yeah, I suspect the dealer wants to keep the 1992 (show quality) for himself and will only part with it if he gets a sucker on the hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back