2003 starting issue

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Purchased 2003 recently, all recalls have been completed per previous owner. Has 89,000 miles and no known issues in the short time we've had it.

This issue is starting. Most of the time, turn the key on and it starts right up. Other times it make take 5-6 tries before it starts. Turn it off and starts first time.

I don't think it's the starter or battery as it cranks and continues to try to start. We just have to keep turning the key on/off until it does start.

Being internment, I hate to take to dealership and have them try random replacement items.

Any suggests or similar issues ?

New to site and being a bird owner.

I had a similar problem a while ago, and it turned out to be the crank sensor on the back of the engine in the bottom of the bell housing. After we changed that 3 years ago the problem went away. Because of it's location it gets water, dirt, and oil in it and it doesn't sense the crankshaft rotation. Good Luck Rick

Could be a faulty contact in the switch itself - starter contacts okay but ignition contacts not. Could check with a voltmeter or test light connected to the ignition circuit somewhere, somehow ?? under the hood. Not an expert on Birds.

My 2005 Premium 50th Anniversary is in the shop now, same issue. I believe it to be the PATS Sensor ring?

Thanks for the thoughts. Replaced crank sensor. Started first time for about a week, parked at grandkids house last evening and it took approx. 20 starting tries but finally. Uuggghhh hWe observed the red security light on the dash flashing very fast while trying to start ?

Make sure that the plug on the crank sensor wire is clean and making a good connection.

Sounds to me like you have a weak fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter. I would check fuel pressure on fuel rail first. Then I would check and replace fuel filter. Then I would recheck fuel pressure on fuel rail. If still just cranking then I would spray starting fluid in air intake. Car should start and run for about 5 seconds after spraying starter fluid in intake. If that happens then I would place the problem with a faulty fuel pump. Go to youtube for video on replacing fuel pump. Not much room to work in but it can be done by a diy owner. I did mine in 4 hours. Paid $105 for lifetime warranty pump from Oreillys auto parts. The dealer quoted me $1100 for pump and $800 labor. Did it myself and runs like a champ. Good luck. Keep in touch on the final results. Phil

Update, and thanks to all. Grandson-in-law noticed the red dash light flashing fast when it wouldn't start (I never noticed). Found in the forum a similar issue where the ignition/key caused a no start from the security. Contact cleaner in the ignition chamber (let dry overnight) and contact cleaner on the key (wipe off). So far no issues starting at all. Hope it was this simple.

RESOLUTION: Finally found a local shop with what appears to be the fix for both starting issues with flashing security light and random running shutdown of engine. Replaced the ignition switch. It seemed any occasional codes thrown were "communication error" was what led him to suspect the ignition.

Sounds Exactly Like My 2005, I Replaced Them As The Pats System Wasn't Functioning. Same Symptoms With Flashingledand No Start. Glad You Found The Issue

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2003 is having starting problems. It happened soon after having a coil go bad and having it replaced. When you go to start the car it may or may not start. Usually not. The engine will turn but not crank. After 1 or 2 tries it will crank, but will immediately die. After a number of tries it will eventually crank and run. Once it is running the engine does fine. However, I have noticed that other things are affected also. The power steering is affected (may or may not work). The turn signal blinkers are also affected. They blink but not at the proper speed or intervals. Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this?
The turn signals and power steering are both FEM symptoms-

Check to see is any codes are stored first. How old is the battery? Have it checked or replaced. Disconnecting the battery will erase any stored codes. I've taken a known good battery from my other car to do the testing, Clean and tighten any connections you can find, especially ground connections and connections on the starter. When having the 'Crank-No Start' issue, check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail/injectors. Possible weak fuel pump or clogged filter.

I have had the battery checked - it is good. I also have disconnected the battery and reconnected it. No change. I have had it at three different shops. There are no codes showing up. I have had the Keys reprogrammed. I have had the ignition cylinder replaced. And I have had all the coils and plugs replaced. I don't know that anyone has checked the fuel pump system. It is strange that it will crank, it may just take 20 attempts. Also, it is strange that the power steering and blinkers seem to be affected. Feels like some kind of electrical problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the battery checked - it is good. I also have disconnected the battery and reconnected it. No change. I have had it at three different shops. There are no codes showing up. I have had the Keys reprogrammed. I have had the ignition cylinder replaced. And I have had all the coils and plugs replaced. I don't know that anyone has checked the fuel system. It is strange that it will crank, it may just take 20 attempts. Also, it is strange that the power steering and blinkers seem to be affected. Feels like some kind of electrical problem.
Again, the turn signals and power steering issues are both symptoms of FEM problems.

The turn signals and power steering are both FEM symptoms-
Do you think the starting issue could also be related to the FEM?

Do you think the starting issue could also be related to the FEM?
If your FEM is failing, why not get it repaired to contribute to your troubleshooting? Obviously having turn signal issues and power steering issues are pretty serious. What you are describing is also consistent with a fuel pump problem.

It's quite possible you have two separate problems after all the car is 18 years old.

Last edited:
It could very well be the FEM. But the more diagnostics first will narrow down the part swapping trying to fix the problem. A similar multi problem issue that I had on a different vehicle led me to find several corroded connections in the underside of the engine compartment fuse/relay panel. The fix was easy and cheap but finding it took a lot of time. The service and wiring manuals will be helpful. I would be looking at fuel pressure, engine fuse panel, ground wire connections, removing/cleaning plug connections, including FEM, with contact cleaner as edward301 said.

If your FEM is failing, why not get it repaired to contribute to your troubleshooting? Obviously having turn signal issues and power steering issues are pretty serious. What you are describing is also consistent with a fuel pump problem.

It's quite possible you have two separate problems after all the car is 18 years old.

I sent the FEM to Module Masters for a rebuild. They said the couldn't find anything wrong with it and sent it back. About to have it reninstalled.

Once you reinstall your FEM I would put a pressure gauge on the fuel port under the hood and watch your
fuel pressure when trying to start the car. I do believe the FEM talks to the REM, and the REM controls the
fuel pump.

Back