Dad with Alzheimer's misplaced keys to 1970 T-Bird! Help with new keys

T-bird41144

T-bird41144

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 81 year old Father has misplaced his keys to his 1970 429 Thunderjet T-Bird. Can you tell me how or if I can get a replacement set made? Can a Ford dealer help me or do I need someone else?

Thank you in Advance.

A Ford dealer may be able to help but I would probably try a local locksmith first. A locksmith might be able to get the cylinder to turn to unlock doors and then make a key to fit. Or... He could get you into the car the get inside the door to change the lock cylinders. He would also have to get your ignition cylinder out for you to replace it too. Not 100% certain but I think a locksmith would be cheaper than the dealership. Heck they would probably call in a locksmith themselves.

A Ford dealer may be able to help but I would probably try a local locksmith first. A locksmith might be able to get the cylinder to turn to unlock doors and then make a key to fit. Or... He could get you into the car the get inside the door to change the lock cylinders. He would also have to get your ignition cylinder out for you to replace it too. Not 100% certain but I think a locksmith would be cheaper than the dealership. Heck they would probably call in a locksmith themselves.
I think what I'm going to do is have a friend who owns a body shop come and remove the driver's door key jamb. Once that's out I'll take it to a locksmith and have a key made. The sane key that opens the door will start the car. The car is unlocked. I just don't have a key to the ignition.

I'd still be unable to get in the trunk, but that's the least of my worries.

I didn't know the car was unlocked. Yes pull a cylinder from the door and a key can be made that will work in both the door and ignition as you said. Is the glove box unlocked? Same thing for the glovebox and trunk key.

I didn't know the car was unlocked. Yes pull a cylinder from the door and a key can be made that will work in both the door and ignition as you said. Is the glove box unlocked? Same thing for the glovebox and trunk key.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of the glovebox and trunk key. I knew the trunk key was separate, but didn't know the glovebox key was sane as the trunk. I'll see if I can get the glovebox out, too when I get the door jamb.

My 81 year old Father has misplaced his keys to his 1970 429 Thunderjet T-Bird. Can you tell me how or if I can get a replacement set made? Can a Ford dealer help me or do I need someone else?

Thank you in Advance.
You can have any locksmith make keys from either ignition or Door lock.

You can have any locksmith make keys from either ignition or Door lock.
Great News!!! The keys were in the ignition!

New problem: Mold is everywhere. Steering wheel, dash, seats. How would/should I clean it? My Wild says diluted bleach solution. What do you think?

White vinegar mixed with water (80/20 solution) is what I found to best kill the mold.

Back