low fuel pressure, replace 1 or both fuel pumps

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
ragtopbird02

ragtopbird02

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have owned my T-bird for almost a year and would love to say I love it, but it has never run correctly since I purchased it. I don't want to go into all the parts I have replaced at this time, but my mechanic and I are at a this point in trying to resolve my poor running, stalling problem. I discovered low fuel pressue , 20 PSI. I changed the main fuel pump behind the passengers seat, also replaced the fuel filter, still low pressure. Took it to mechanic and he checked all lines, etc. and figured the pump was bought over the internet and maybe the pump was just not good. My mechanic replaced the pump with a new one, new filter still low pressure. He stated that many sites state to replace both pumps at the same time. Does anyone know if the second pump would have anything to do with low fuel pressure. I always understood that the second pump, just pumped fuel from one side of the tank to the other and did not really have a thing to do with the pressure going to the injectors.

I have owned my T-bird for almost a year and would love to say I love it, but it has never run correctly since I purchased it. I don't want to go into all the parts I have replaced at this time, but my mechanic and I are at a this point in trying to resolve my poor running, stalling problem. I discovered low fuel pressue , 20 PSI. I changed the main fuel pump behind the passengers seat, also replaced the fuel filter, still low pressure. Took it to mechanic and he checked all lines, etc. and figured the pump was bought over the internet and maybe the pump was just not good. My mechanic replaced the pump with a new one, new filter still low pressure. He stated that many sites state to replace both pumps at the same time. Does anyone know if the second pump would have anything to do with low fuel pressure. I always understood that the second pump, just pumped fuel from one side of the tank to the other and did not really have a thing to do with the pressure going to the injectors.

I have a similar issue with my 2003. I am beginning to think it is the dual exhaust. I can tell you this, it did not start happening until I had to have all 8 cylinders replaced and the 3 Catalytic converters. At the time they said I might have to replace the exhausts but later said they were ok. I think I should have them replaced.

Did you ever find out what the problem is?

I have an 02 Bird and replaced my passenger side fuel pump 9 months ago. Did not replace drivers side pump,
and have no idea if it even works. The drivers side pump only really helps if you get a quarter tank or less, which
I never do. 20psi is to low, have you checked your fuel line from the fuel pump all the way up to the front to
make sure it is no kinked, or even have some blockage.

Back