Opinion on purchasing Ford Extended Warranty

Do you recommend purchasing Ford Extended Care Warranty?

• Yes purchase Ford Extended Care

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No save your money

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gcatal01

Last seen
Hello fellow Tbirders.I have a 2003 with 41000 miles. I am the second owner, and have had it for about 9 months. I have had the car serviced at the local Ford Dealer. Shortly, after purchase I noticed hesitation, after reading the threads, it sounded like the COP Issue. I took the TSB to my Ford Dealer and he had to change COPS 2,4,6,8. So needless to say I really believe this forum has Quailty People with a lot of knowledge.The car has run beautifully since that service. I do not drive in the winter (New England weather) and would like to know what other owners opinions are on purchasing a "Ford Premium Care Extended Warranty??? Thanks for your time.

I think a lot of people say to purchase the extended warranty, for peace of mind for the most part. I am getting close to the end of my warranty (6 years, 48,000 miles, and right now I am at 5 years, 7 months, and 46,000 miles), and I will likely get an extended warranty for just that reason.

I had to replace a throttle body last year, and so I saved about $1000 due to my warranty, though that was probably close to what I paid for the extended warranty when I bought the car 6 years ago.

gcatal;
Glad you tok advantage of the 100,000/10year on the COPS for your '03.
As Phillip points out, there are some rather costly parts, going bad, that seem to crop up regularly on these Birds and Lincoln LS's. Therefore I believe it's been worth it for many members.
Now that Ford is offering these to you, even if your warranty has run out, I think it's good. Especially if you have higher mileage. There's a TBird owner that's in Illinois who is a finance manager at a Ford Dealer. He sells these at a fair cost. You can add 4 years and 48,000 miles to what you presently have on the odometer.

BTW, I'm in MA, where are you in New England? people who walk in

George,
Thanks for the reply, I am located in Cranston,RI. What is the phone number, to call for pricing on warranty?
Gerry

George et al.
My nickel's worth. We got the extended warranty when we purchased the car new in 2005. This warranty extended to 6 years or 70000 miles. We now have 64000+ on the car and I am going to see what kind of extension I can get.
By all means, purchase the extended warranty for as long as you can. We had a Mark VIII that I got extended warranty to 120000 miles, and it was well worth it. I saved much more that the cost of the warranties.
Alos, we seem to have a problem. When accellerating, the car "jumps". This is the best way to describe it. Smooth accelleration doesn't do it.
When we get back from this weekend, I'm taking it in to the Lincoln dealer, not the Ford dealer.
More later, with any info on the problem and fix, if any.
Jim

George,
Thanks for the reply, I am located in Cranston,RI. What is the phone number, to call for pricing on warranty?
Gerry

Gerry: I see, in your profile, that there's no way to send you a PM, so if you send me a PM with your email address, I'll quickly send an answer.
I believe the site owner does not want anything that appears to be advertising or sales in our posts

Last edited:
George et al.
My nickel's worth. We got the extended warranty when we purchased the car new in 2005. This warranty extended to 6 years or 70000 miles. We now have 64000+ on the car and I am going to see what kind of extension I can get.
By all means, purchase the extended warranty for as long as you can. We had a Mark VIII that I got extended warranty to 120000 miles, and it was well worth it. I saved much more that the cost of the warranties.
Alos, we seem to have a problem. When accellerating, the car "jumps". This is the best way to describe it. Smooth accelleration doesn't do it.
When we get back from this weekend, I'm taking it in to the Lincoln dealer, not the Ford dealer.
Jim

Jim: I'll send you the same info as I do Gerry, if you PM me as well. That way you can do a price comparison when you get your quote. Believe me, I shopped mine at three different dealers. One each in MA, CT and IL and ended up getting it in IL. And a professional/great guy to deal with.

Gerry: I see, in your profile, that there's no way to send you a PM, so if you send me a PM with your email address, I'll quickly send an answer.
I believe the site owner does not want anything that appears to be advertising or sales in our posts

Gerry email on it's way, let me know how you make out

Car jumps...

George et al.
Jim

Not sure how true this is, but my '03 TBird will do the same on occassion, but only with certain driving behaviors. The reason given to me by the Ford mechanic is that the car has a computer in it that "learns" your style of driving in order to optimize acceleration. For example, when on a freeway on-ramp, its common to move slowly as other cars in front of you are entering the freeway one car at a time (its controlled by a signal...it's California!). By the time I reach the light I usually have to stop the vehicle for about 1-2 seconds. Then when the light turns green, I hit the accelerator and many times have to gain speed quickly to merge with traffic. The car has learned this behavior and will "jump" on acceleration if I mimic the same behavior just before acceleration. In other words, if I'm moving slow (creeping along), say in a parking lot, then I stop, then begin to step on the accelerator to move into a parking spot, the car will jump as if to accelerate quickly. I have to step on the break or just be prepared that it might happen. I've paid close attention to this theory and so far, it's pretty consistent. Usually after I've been on and off the freeway more frequently in a particular week, or I have had to hit the accelerator quickly after a brief stop, I can be sure that I will experience the jump. When I had the computer reset (after having to replace a couple of coils) it stopped doing it, until I reinvoked the behavior...and it relearned. Interesting, huh?

Jim: I'll send you the same info as I do Gerry, if you PM me as well. That way you can do a price comparison when you get your quote. Believe me, I shopped mine at three different dealers. One each in MA, CT and IL and ended up getting it in IL. And a professional/great guy to deal with.

Please, if you wouldn't mind, forward this info to me as well? Thanks!

I just got another extended warranty after my original extended warranty was about to expire, and I used Lou M. who is a Ford Finance person who will give you a good rate (much better than the rates quoted by local Finance people where I live). All I needed to do was to get a Used Vehicle Inspection, call Lou M., and give him my credit card number. I got the extended warranty when I had 47,700 miles on my T-Bird (my original extended warranty was for 48,000 miles or 6 years, and I was at the 5 year, 9 month mark also), and I got a 4 year, 40K extension (or is it 48K?).

Anyway, I am happy.

Good for you Phillip. He's a great guy and easy to deal with.

George,
Gerry
Thinking of getting an extended warranty of some sort if I can on my 03 premium. Also I noticed there are no thunderbird car clubs I also live in Rhode Island and would like to get a thunderbird club started any interest in something like this I think it would be great for a bunch of us to get together monthly and do rides and charitable events along with exchanging info and just enjoy our thunderbirds if you have any interest in helping with a start up club for Rhode Island thunderbird owners let me know we can talk

If you can find a warranty before you buy ask a couple of dealerships or where you plan to go for service what warranty program they will accept.
Ford no longer covers the 2002, 03 & 04. They will write a warranty for the 05 if it has less than 100K miles & purchase of warranty is made before the 3rd quarter of this year, 2019. After Oct. 1st Ford has not laid out any plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
are there any third part company’s that
Might write an extended warranty on the 03 even if it’s costs a little more i wouldn’t mind having something in the way of more warranty. But if not I will just pay to fix whatever needs to be fixed as I plan on keeping this car for pretty much forever and if and when things go working I will take that opportunity to keep upgrading it and making it more high performance

I think the Ford ESP was the best money I ever spent. Think it is still possible ( for a few months anyway) to get a ESP on a 2005 model. Will be costly! I (like others) have stuck $2000 in an envelope and add $50 a month for future repairs.

I can't imagine an extended warranty would be a cost effective investment for our cars. I would just save and set aside the money for future repairs as mentioned earlier.

Great advice guys! I just purchased an ESP Ford warranty for my 2005 50th anniversary. I did it online through a Ford dealer in Rhode Island. $2000 for 5 years with a $200 deductible. I think 2005 owners have one more month to purchase this. There are 4 levels of coverage you can buy. I chose the best one with the highest deductible. The plans do run 6 years. Because I have no current warranty they are sending someone to inspect the car. I’ve got my fingers crossed for this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back